Anyone watch racing School on the TV last night?

I've recorded it to watch tonight. The college is round the corner from me, it's not unusual for me to see random people from where I live on T.V. :rolleyes:

From what I saw of the trailers it was for problem kids to give them a chance to learn something and get them on track.

Yes I watched it. And spent an hour thinking "what a spoiled brat", "what a dick", "I wouldnt let her near my horse", "if she screamed like that on my horse id push her off it myself"

I thought the girl who was very nervous did really well, even if she didnt get an apprentice at the end of it I think she got her confidence back somewhat.

The blonde haired lass, tbh problems or not, I could of stuck a pitchfork where the sun dont shine when she started taking her anger out on a horse in the stable.. no excuses for that.

I found it quite interesting, I don't think it trivialized the Jockey profession , that was secondary to me, I was interested more in how the Kids developed during the course - for me they got a lot out of it, all 3 had been round /had access / rode horses at differing levels and abilities and found it lacking when looking to a professional career , they all had their own reasons for wanting to do the course and to be fair beyond expectations of families actually did the 10 weeks with positive results at the end on personal levels.

I wonder how many kids out there with a love for equines dream of working with them but are never 'privileged ' enough to get the opportunity to at least try.

watching it on catchup now! still baffled that some of them (not the ones being 'followed') have not sat on a horse before, but want to become jockeys! I'm always a bit wary of programmes like this to be honest. What happens afterwards? And what stopped these kids from trying to make something of themselves without such a programme? Oh and the blonde one is very annoying, taking her frustrations out on the horse, she really doesn't strike me as an animal lover at all!

I missed this, hope to be able to watch it on catch up later though. shame though, it sounds like its not quite what I thought it would be.

Its Doncaster and it said at the start it gives people a second or sometimes third chances.
These wouldn't normally be accepted at any college let alone a jockey one.

Riding a horse isn't a preparation for taking a racehorse on the gallops, I wonder how many of us would complete the course? I am sure I would plop off at the first corner let alone a buck.

I did feel for the horses though if they have to deal with people with attitudes on a regular basis.

I thought it was really interesting - it was good to see the way they all made progress dealing with their personal demons, and interesting to see the way they responded to the discipline and the exercise, and the way these total beginners were put on excitable ex-racehorses and expected to stick on ... riding in the jockey position from the start. What a way to get your confidence back!

I didnt get the impression that it was just for kids with problems, although it was really good for them - pity there aren't more opportunities like that for the ones with the guts to benefit from them. I thought all the teachers and instructors were good too - they didn't get angry with them, and they didn't take any nonsense either. It would have been so much easier just to say "oh s/he's rubbish - kick her out".

I didn't see any ending though - thought it was just the first episode, but there was no info about any other episodes on the website. Gimp - how did you know the nervous girl didn't get an apprenticeship at the end? Did I miss something.

i absolutely cringed when the girl was bucked off in the school, and poor Shona looked so ill at the sight of it, hands down to her for trying to get back into riding after obviously such a nasty accident in the past, it was nice to see how much she improved confidence wise.

hated the attitude of the blonde girl....though there was an improvement by the end.

Gimp - how did you know the nervous girl didn't get an apprenticeship at the end? Did I miss something.

I thought they said they were not putting her forwards for a placement, my bad if I misunderstood it. I thought she said she fancied going for a NH sort of role working with horses now instead.

I thought they said they were not putting her forwards for a placement, my bad if I misunderstood it. I thought she said she fancied going for a NH sort of role working with horses now instead.

Thanks, Gimp. Probably I wasn't paying attention! I suppose someone who struggles with nerves to that extent would really be suitable for a career as a jockey.

I am fairly sure that this was their 12 week introductionary course for non riders leading to a level 1 qualification. I think they introduced it to reduce the drop outs from the main apprenticeship scheme. Passing that only earns a six week work experience not a job in the industry.

Over dramatic and I suspect without the cameras several would have walked or been turfed out earlier!

I am fairly sure that this was their 12 week introductionary course for non riders leading to a level 1 qualification. I think they introduced it to reduce the drop outs from the main apprenticeship scheme. Passing that only earns a six week work experience not a job in the industry.

Over dramatic and I suspect without the cameras several would have walked or been turfed out earlier!

The penny has just dropped with an almighty clang! :wink: thanks eml for elucidating us on that one!.

ahhhh !!!

I seethed and muttered and felt my BP go sky high!:redcarded:

I did feel though that it was probably unnecessarily dramatised with a bit of creative cutting and editing.

I am all for these kids being given a chance to turn their lives around. But what of the kids that have knuckled down at school and kept themselves on track and long to get into the racing industry - is it also an opportunity for them as well? Or do you have to be a bad ass street kid to get on the ladder?:unsure:

I am all for these kids being given a chance to turn their lives around. But what of the kids that have knuckled down at school and kept themselves on track and long to get into the racing industry - is it also an opportunity for them as well? Or do you have to be a bad ass street kid to get on the ladder?:unsure:

I did wonder that ! however it did say some of them applied online to get onto the course, hopefully its open to anyone from any walk of life.

makes more sense now!

Watched all of it now - I did like Tyler, he seemed to be genuinely trying! The two girls ... hmm.

newrider.com