Anyone want to know about greys and roans...?

He looks like he's greying out there neen. He's unlikely to have been dun to start with; more likely buckskin, but I'm almost certain from those pics that he's greying. Sorry! (But he will go some lovely shades in the years before being white... :D )

Aw. :( Never mind, at least when he's white he'll be easier to find in the field after dark.;) This is the whole of him, yesterday, showing off his lovely silvery tail (probably his best feature):
wholebody.jpg

How can you tell whether they're buckskin or true dun? His points are seal brown rather than black and his coat's a sort of muddy colour (not just when it's muddy, all the time!). And he's got a dorsal stripe, a cross on his shoulders and zebra stripes on his legs. There's a dun across the road which is clearly buckskin -- black points, bright gold coat -- and I always thought Fluke was a true dun because he looked so different.

Not that it makes much difference, I suppose, if white is where he's headed. Could say the same for myself though -- I've definitely got more grey hairs than I used to have, too!

Thanks chev!

Definitely greying out!

It's difficult with bucksins that are greying out because they can develop markings as grey does it's job that truly do look like dun markings. Plus the action of cream can look very dun-like because grey adds both dark and light hair, resulting in a very flat dilution.

I don't see an obvious dun cross in that pic, nor true zebra stripes; the markings on his legs look more like what grey does. Do you have any pics of his dorsal stripe? That's probably the best indication. He doesn't have dun markings on his head either.

Remember sooty buckskins can look very different from the obvious golden shades too; that also confuses things.

The reason I think buckskin rather than dun is mainly because dun only really exists in Shetlands and Highlands in teh UK pony breeds; and he doesn't look like he's got much of either in him. Cream, on teh other hand, is found in Connies, Welsh, New Forest, among others; so it's statistically more likely he's got cream rather than dun too.

(Pics of the stripe would be great though! :D )

I've looked through all my pictures and there are no good ones of the stripe, but you can just about see it in this one, taken in the summer.

stripe.jpg

He does look very golden here, but I think that's mostly the sun! Next time I go up I'll take some proper close-ups of the stripe. I'd better hurry up, before he goes grey and loses it altogether! ;)

Thanks for this, chev, it's really interesting.

Chev

What is Libby. On her passport it says she is a chestnut roan, but people keep saying she looks more like a strawberry roan?

libby017.jpg
[/IMG]

I will try and get a more up to date piccie as this one is a little out of date now. Her colour has changed slightly
LIBERTY003.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator:
What are everyones opinions about Montys color? I've asked tons of people, and have gotten half saying he's greying out and half saying he just has some weird sabino.
I'm leaning towards grey as he's 7/8ths Percheron, and grey and black are really the only two colors they come in. Although wouldn't he have more grey by now, as he's 3 1/2?

He has white flecks throughout his coat, and his mane and tail are a bit silver.
tail.jpg

DSC_6170.jpg

DSC_6099.jpg

DSC_5448.jpg

Ooh, neen - that looks very much like a proper dun stripe! Dun stripes are strips of the horse's *undiluted* colour... he still looks very golden for a dun, and that stripe still looks very dark. I wouldn't like to say either way on this one really... :copout:

Maddison's girl - chestnut roan and strawberry roan are the same thing (red + roan). Your girl is definitely strawberry/chestnut roan - but she also carries sabino (ragged sock/s, big ragged blaze, adn roaning) so that can add more white hair than you'd normally see on a chestnut roan. She is chestnut sabino roan.

CMR - I doubt he's greying out. By that age you'd usually see far more obvious signs of greying, especially on teh head. He jsut has roaning type white associated with sabino. The 1/8th that isn't Percheron is obviously the part that made him tobiano too - Percherons don't carry tobiano. He's gorgeous... :D

I took some more pics of him today, chev, and I've posted them on a new thread. When I first got him, my sis said, "What colour is he, exactly?" and when I said "dun", she said "is that 'dun', as in, 'I dunno'?" -- the cheek!

Just seen your other thread neen and replied! It's almost impossibel for me to say one way or the other with Fluke. He's either a very convincing buckskin, or he's dun - but because of the grey, it's incredibly difficult to say.

I love the stages greys go through (ok so ending up white is a pain in the butt, but still...) but he is gorgeous.

This explains a lot! I always wondered why the chesnuts in Lou's pedigree lost out to the greys! Her granddaddy was a lovely chesnut arab stallion, Padron, but her grandmother on that side was grey and they produced a grey foal. He was bred to Lou's dam, who was also chesnut and my girl turned out grey. The eldest of her foals is also grey. She has another one whom I'm yet to find any info about.......am I right in thinking that he/she will be grey as well?

Well, I don't know for certain, but if he's anything like my mare he will get more freckles AND go whiter. Lou started off as a steely dapple grey with just a few freckles on her face and neck (she was 8 when I bought her). Now she's rising 16 and has lost almost all her dapples but has a lot more speckles all over her body. She looks yummy :)

Ive got a question.

I have an 8yr old flea bitten grey, the older he gets will he go white or get more freakles?????

;)

Fleabites or freckles are usually the final stage of grey when they appear. Horse goes white and then starts to develop freckles of colour. Some greys start to develop them before they lose their dapples, but while they'll continue to lose dapples and go whiter, the freckles remain unchanged. Some only get a few, others get so many they look roany from a distance. But if a horse has them, they won't lose them. Not all greys do get them but those that do keep them.

Hello,

I went to see some percheron foals (rising 2). Both mums and dad were both almost white and fleabitten.

One foal had a white mane and tail and the other had a black mane and tail. Will they both grey out like the parents? I preferred the one with the white tail and mane as it looked stunning against the dark grey but wondered if they would both end up the same anyway?

Both foals were patchy in their "greynesss" but the one with the white mane and tail had more of a pale grey face.

Any thoughts?:confused:

Sorry, only just seen this question :eek:

The answer is a simple yes - both will grey out and end up white. They might grey out at different rates but they'll both go white eventually.

wow that so interesting!:cool:
i have a mare of 7 yrs who was whitewith a few ark dapples from the mid neck down and dark rey legs and a white belly... 1 yr on shes now dappled grey everywhere excpet her fleabitten face and white belly :eek:
this post has made me think more now than in the last 3 weeks lol :confused:

Hi as this thread has recently been revived could I ask you to give an opinion on these pics please. So apart from bird catcher spots is my boy likely to go grey ( fingers crossed you say no ). I have no idea about his dam and sire unfortunately. Every winter he gets more spots and under his forelock it looks to be going very grey. He has solid white spots and just some random blotches of white hairs. I have asked on this forum a long time ago but I don't remember the answer and he has got so many more spots now.
Image038.jpg

DSC00121.jpg

DSC00124.jpg

DSC00120.jpg

Image014-2.jpg

So, what is Fákur, the gastropod?

You can see his grey flecks in summer, in spring they are much , much more evident, then they fade, and in winter he goes brown with no grey hairs visible.

IMG_5229.jpg

newrider.com