Anyone used these bits?

bhs1

Feb 29, 2012
I am curious as to whether anyone has tried any of these bits and general opinions on them. There are a few id like to try my boy in but looking for opionions really (and so I dont seem to be advertising I have not linked to my own site:tongue:)

http://www.bombersbits.co.uk

Well after i picked myself up off the floor at the sheer overpricing of the product, i can then write the word no.
I would imagine this is for top end competition? I don't know an average rider who would justify the price to simply hack out.
The most i have ever spent was on a myler. At the time there was nothing out there that allowed the one rein shoulder lift i wanted.
New cob hates it! She has plain and simple bit.

Last edited:
No we use simple sweet iron loose rings or eggbuts with lozenges which cost us about £10. Then they go into normal doubles when ready.

Too expensive and needlessly complex...riders hands are more important than fancy bits..I personally don't even like the feel of Mylers

The myler i have is the basic comfort type. At the time it was the only one that had independent movement because i ride one rein direct and one indirect or supporting. When i came to use it strangely it felt very heavy and i agree with you on the feel.

No we use simple sweet iron loose rings or eggbuts with lozenges which cost us about £10. Then they go into normal doubles when ready.

Too expensive and needlessly complex...riders hands are more important than fancy bits..I personally don't even like the feel of Mylers

This! I feel that bitting is getting all too complicated now.

I feel a 'being jumped on' coming on, but why the sudden need for all these new fangled bits? I don't really get it. I sometimes feel that unless your horse needs something complicated and expensive in its mouth, it's not 'normal' anymore! Not knocking Mylers, Neue Schule, etc, if it works for you, great, but it's all getting a bit much...IMHO. ;)

Shockingly expensive, those in the link. :eek:

I have a handmade bit that was about tht price, most English SS bits are nearly as expensive. Though most INdian SS is good enough for bits these days and a fraction of the cost of English made stuff.

I have a sweet iron loose ring snaffle with copper bands and two hand made bronze bits one with lozenges and one with swivels. Hand made is pricey.

I would feel I had totally failed my horse if I had to resort to putting a lot of those confections in his mouth.

I have a handmade bit that was about tht price, most English SS bits are nearly as expensive. Though most INdian SS is good enough for bits these days and a fraction of the cost of English made stuff.

I have a sweet iron loose ring snaffle with copper bands and two hand made bronze bits one with lozenges and one with swivels. Hand made is pricey.

I would feel I had totally failed my horse if I had to resort to putting a lot of those confections in his mouth.

True - about the pricing....and feeling I'd failed my horse!

I didn't find anywhere that stated in black and white where those bits are made, if you can find it, link me! I read lots about quality control, etc, but couldn't find 'made in England' in there. I would have thought they'd have pushed that as a selling point.

I had Fella's Liverpool made for him in 1995. It cost a fortune!

ETA... Oh dear LORD I've just seen this one!! :eek:

http://bombersbits.co.uk/products-page/horse-bits/twisted-mullen-pelham/

They are South African bits, so I would think they are made in South Africa. A lot of these bits are designed for polo horses,

I think it is all very well if your horse has a normal mouth conformation that you can put any old bit in its mouth and not have to pay that much money. However, if you have a horse with a low palate, fat tongue, I am afraid no matter how fantastic a rider you are, it is not going to be happy in a jointed snaffle.

I also think that we spend huge amounts of money on saddles, saddle pads, people think nothing of spending hundreds on accessories - a lot of cheap bits aren't actually finished particularly well and nor is each arm the same length.

If it ain't broke, then don't fix it, but for some horses, bits that have had a bit of thought put into them help a lot.

If it helped my horse, I would not have a problem spending 60 or 80 quid on a bit - if I had to have something in my mouth, I would like it to be comfortable!

OP, I tried their Happy Tongue bit - didn't do it for my boy although according to the lady at the bit bank who used it on her very fat tongued horse, he loved it. Trial and error like everything!

Last edited:
this is exactly what I was thinking, the amount we spend on saddles/bridles/boots etc, that much money for the right bit for your horse would be well worth the money. I agree, some of those bits like the double mouthpieces or twisted ones I would not put anywhere near my horses mouth, but I was particually looking at the happy tongue kimblewick or pelham as I like the look of the shape of the mouthpiece as my boy doesnt like tongue pressure and does not have much bit room but needs a curb action as he is soooo strong!! :banghead: I dont think I would have failed if I did get one of those bits, I feel thats a bit of a black and white view to look at it. Though I do think if I needed that twisted mouth pelham then yes, I do perhaps feel I may have failed abit I guess!

No I would agree it doesn't look at all comfortable, but I think you will find this is a polo bit - and I don't think very many of them are very comfortable!

I'm not too sure I believe in all these special bits. I think its more of a schooling issue/poorly broken in horse. Realistically you should not be riding too much off the reins and so the horse should be ok with a standard french link snaffle. ALL of the horses on the yard at work are in a snaffle of some sort, be it mullen, french link or single link, and since I've been there I think the strongest bit used has been copper rollers.. You see so many youngsters out hunting in pelhams and gags its ridiculous. If you are putting that in their mouth at 4 or 5, what are you going to use when they are 15? I think it is all in the breaking of the horse, and because more and more novices are doing it themselves instead of sending to a professional, thats why they are getting 'stronger' and needing harsher bits. *hides*

ANY horse can go in a french link???? :giggle:
would you like to come and ride my beast :tongue: seriously though, he is 14 and I have had him 7 months, he came to me with very very little schooling, mostly hacked/hunted and they had him in a french link snaffle but my god they had to haul his mouth to have control. Yes I am working on schooling and like to school in a lighter bit but it would not be safe for me to hack him on the roads whithout full control, especially for the sake of 'oh look my horse is in a snaffle'!!! Sorry but safety comes first and since riding in the pelham, I can use a much lighter contact and hardly any pulling on the reins, wheras in the snaffle I had to seriously pull before I got any response!

I thought there were about 30 types of snaffle, surely we can find something to use without resorting to "modern" ones? We managed 20 years ago without them.

Ok spending 80 on a bit to aid communication fair enough looking at how prices have changed.

I am very grateful to silver for this - the rest of the lifestyle she demands isn't cheap :redcarded::D

That said, I do sympathise with button problems as rascal is tricky to fit due to the teeny size of his mouth. Have just got him a butterfly Pelham, looks like he has scaffolding round his face and wont shut his mouth with it in - not even a mention of reins or contact!

I just spent £60 on a stubben bit... I didn't hesitate at the price as I believe that you get what you pay for... It's just a plain old loose ring snaffle with lozenge. But it has golden wings :D
I've searched & searched, & felt that this is the kindest bit I can possibly get in our circumstance (need a loose ring, need French link or lozenge - heard lozenge slightly kinder, paranoid in case the edges pinch him or slips through his mouth) so that's what I got. And yes, I could've bought a £15 one & some rubber guards, but I didn't want to. Pain to get on, & look unsightly :p

I want the best I can afford - and sometimes it doesn't mean it has to be pricey, but when I can get something that costs a little more, but has rave reviews, & has been designed for comfort, then yes, I will spend a little more on it :) I love my horse - he gets the best I can afford for him & in this case, a £60 bit it was. I still believe it's a bog standard bit - just has fancy guards built in ;)

Last edited:
newrider.com