Anyone used the White Lightning Gel?

capalldubh

May 26, 2006
Jackson has a tendency to get the nasty sort of thrush that makes the central sulcus turn inside out. He first got it last summer ('07) and because it didn't smell and wasn't black, I let it go far too long and he ended up blowing lots of abscesses out his heel bulbs. When eventually the (3rd? 4th?) vet noticed the deep sulcus and said you better treat that, it healed up quite fast, but at that stage he was on box rest so his feet were dry and easy to treat by packing and nappies etc. By May his feet were superb, best they've ever been and they stayed great despite a soggy summer.

Since October, he has got the same thing again. It is only starting, so not quite as bad, but he has deep clefts that seemed to appear almost overnight in 3 feet. This despite me being pretty obsessive about miltoning frogs and soles :( - that'll teach me to go on holidays.

Anyway, after trying various stuff (Naf Hoof & Sole, Borax, Milton, Cider Vinegar, Canestan), I did a bit of reading and have bought the White Lightning. I had a go today - it is great, much easier to get into the sulcus than the other treatments. I get him standing on the dryest bit of field, clean hooves and soles with a squirty bottle, dry off as best I can, dry into the cleft with an absorbent towel, and then squidge in the gel and pack with cotton wool.

Has anyone else used the gel? How often and any other tips for me? And did it work? :D

newrider.com