Anyone used electric rope?

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
I have always used electric tape or the electric string, both of which snap pretty easily.

I just had a look at the thicker electric rope, has anyone used this? It is less easy to snap?

We have it at my yard, Pebbles ran through it at gallop the other day and the rope all just pinged out of the posts, I was very impressed because she was really hooning from one end of the field and I was expecting carnage (most probably of the rope variety, rather than the horse variety).

I only ever used rope when I did my own fencing ... We get high winds here and the tape stuff just doesn't work unless it's pulled taunt by a machine ... and then a horse spooks and runs through it = bleh! I also like the look of the rope!

Do you find the horses have more respect for the rope?

My lot are awful with electric fencing and will only leave it alone if it is fully electrified, but people have a habit of stealing the electric units:rolleyes:

I use rope, I find it doesnt break but does just pull the poles out as the horses are hooning with the rope around their legs allowing them to free them self...:rolleyes:

I think if you are looking for something the horse will respect then you need more voltage pumping through it...;)

Can't do more voltage, don't have mains electric and can't afford to keep replacing electric units when people steal them.

It is used extensively at my yard. Must keep it live though, the horses soon work out when it is not switched on. It is far more durable than tape and have never had a problem with it so long as it is maintained .... broken insulators quickly fixed and weeds and grass in contact with it cut back, these cause power loss in the system.

Have to admit I've never tried it without the electric ... Good quality rope will give a nasty jolt though and maybe they would learn to respect that? IT's also less likely to "click" as the wire tend to run fairly continuously throughout. Rambo decided in the end that he couldn't work out whether it was on or off and stopped walking through it ... but this was a very well built fenceline with metal connectors, gates, etc ... almost £1000 worth of electris fencing!

I am wanting to use mine with wooden posts, I have loads of plastic posts but they are pretty useless with my mob:rolleyes:

I am wanting to use mine with wooden posts, I have loads of plastic posts but they are pretty useless with my mob:rolleyes:

i have rope with wooden posts on sections of my fields and its the only fencing my two seem to respect - i don't have these electrified. I can't get mains electric to the field so my chargers are used on other sections of fences they don't respect:)

I have the rope and its very durable. Doesn't snap and just easier to deal with. You can also wrap it around the top of the posts which you can't do with tape...

Edit - excuse all the docks - moved in too late to weed :(

Attachments

• DSC02354.jpg
    DSC02354.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 22
Yes, my lot do respect it more and I find it works better because it doesn't get all twisted, frayed and knotted like tape does.

Thanks for reminding me, forgot I had some at my parents house and ponies have gone through the tape at the field and snapped it again!

If you are using wooden posts I would think that the screw in insulators will snap "if" the horses go through it. Will the horses go through it if the battery is dead?? Mine will for the grass on the other side...:rolleyes:

I've used the electric rope. It is incredibly strong and unlike the tape and thin wire I've never known it to snap or break. Gives a hefty crack and doesn't shred itself etc easily like the others

If the fences look imposing the horses are less likely to go through them.

Shay pulls the electric posts out of the ground with his teeth and then walks over the tape:rolleyes:

newrider.com