anyone tried this feed?

This one cost me nothing, a friend shoved it in the back of my car unknown to me, after we'd had a long conversation about the worries of old horses not picking up after winter with this bloody weather. She has an anciant 38 or so year old Shetland who does really well on it. Going to see if it can make my old boy pick up.

Ljósfaxi. He did this last year too and I thought he maybe had cushings as his coat held for ages and was very woolley. Then come the end of June it all fell out, he put on weight and looked sleek. He never gets fat, he spends all his time worrying it off.

The mini Shet keeps his coat as long as possible, its coming out but slowly and still yak like.
Hopefully that sorts him out.
I know Alfa Oil is highly recommended for condition too, I used it when the wee mare went really skinny last year. She gets lami so I am quite careful with what I give her.

Our lot don't lose their coat properly until June anyway, so it's not unusual for them to be a bit werewolfy until July. It's the weight loss and looking old and rangy I don't like.

If I could stable and rug him it would make life a lot easier, I tried to keep him in the other night and all he did was wear a track around the middle and leave his hay untouched. By the time Frances came he was about heading for meltdown.

I used it as a warm feed after hunting for one of the IDs and he liked it, but none of the others would touch it, warm or cold. It kept what weight he had on him, but didn't put any extra.

Thank god for that, I thought you were going to say he hated it and looked at you in a funny way rather than eat it.

Far from it, there was definitely a non-sharing situation and I removed Iacs-who-does-not-need-feed from the field for an hour leaving Ljossie to stuff his face in peace.

Iacs-who-does-not-neeed-feed was most peeved and said as much unplacated with a carrot.

I might trade Iacs for Fakur as Iacs is getting pissed off with this situation and misses Piggy.

It is similar in content to the Havens Slobber Mash we use. We tend to tip ours onto their haylage but never met anyone that doesn't scoff up and do well on it. It really seems to help the oldies and poor ones but doesn't make the others silly.

newrider.com