Anyone suggest a really STRONG electric fence supplier!

emmabailey

I love my haff!
Nov 17, 2008
I have a very cheeky colt who casually strolls through my electric fence at the moment, despite it been supposedly 'electricfied'!! Does anyone use a generator that horses actually respect? He needs a pretty good shock of one I feel! Thanks :) x

i know someone who has theirs plugged into the mains (not sure what transformer etc)

but thats a good few acres worth (dont know how many, but wouldnt fancy walking round it) and uses cord instead of tape.

they brushed against it once, and nearly flew off across the field!

yes. we have the fencer that has 6, 9 and 12 volt option. forget name or it right now though, one that pushes in the ground came from robinsons.

The leads from the battery go to the unit and the unit goes to the fencer, it doesn't zap!!! Need to be careful how you do it so doesn't go bang, but we power the lights the same way. (different battery)

We have a mains one that launched me over the fence. Also got me with the tester from about 2 inches away. That made me swear.

Lol!

You guys are really thinking extreme measures!! I will have a look on the website for robinsons and see what they have got. I dont want to get shocked by it, my little one hurts me enough as it is!! x

I need a mains one!! :D

Charlie is a little bugger with electric fences. He'll be alright as long as he has a big pile of hay but as soon as that runs out he just goes through it! I use a normal unit thing wired up to a car battery but that doesn't give a very strong electric shock to be honest, he knows that he only has to take a couple of zaps then he's through lol

I couldn't do mains and hubby shopped around to find the best value one suitable for cattle too.

It does 15km of fence.

Better to go over powered than under powered.

I use massive leisure batteries and have one that is hooked up and the other on charge. I change the battery after every farrier visit so I remember to do it and that way alhtough the battery hasn't gone flat it actually stays at near enough maximum power and they respect it as a result.

Mine didn't come with an earth stake. Hubby wired up 4 copper pipes which have been driven into the ground a good distance away to give excellent earthing properties.

The only time I had issues was when I bought the unit home for some TLC and connected it up again. I couldn't work out why it wasn't very powerful. Turns out I didn't have the earth connections done up tightly enough. Tightend them up and that solved it so if anyone is having problems don't immediately assume its your battery. ;)

Have a look at Gallaghers website they do some pretty good ones too. Remeber the more you pay in a way the better the quality. Only problem is people want to pinch them more. Haven't got any pics of the actual enegisers.

Have attached a picture of the box that we have ours in. Excuse the bit where is hanging over the sping gates. Someone decided to vanalise the fence when it was off so I took some photos. The energiser fits in the box together with a car battery and then when you switch the box on with the key the whole thing is electric, so it helps stop someone taking your expensive energisers.

Also have a look at this from frogpool manor. We have one similar at our yard which we use. You can vary the out put on it. Works well and the car battery fits into the black bit at the bottom.
http://www.frogpool.com/product-3949.html

Attachments

• IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Other thing we do is use the extra long plastic stakes so they get zap on neck which is more sensitive. My friend clips a zap strip for really pushy ponies and doesnt rug. Only needs to clip once they dont go near after that. Not suggesting it just mentioning.

newrider.com