Anyone still feeding hay?

nat17

Minnie, Sam and Dolly
May 30, 2002
Cotswolds
Visit site
Question in the title really, anyone still feeding hay or haylage?

More so if your horses are out 24:7....

Just wondered... Sam wants me to check he is not the only one on reducing rations...:tongue:

Well you can tell Sam that Dolly and Iskra and their donkey pals are also on extremely low rations after yesterdays silly prancing and dancing around the lanes by madam!:giggle: I literally sprinkled a few handfuls of hay under their noses once this morning and once tonight. They are NOT happy campers! Tough!:smoke:

Yeah just told flipo this tonight. Last round bale has toppled over so is nearly done and they are getting a token gesture at night which is getting very quickly reduced.

My paddock is pretty bare atm - they're still getting some hay but are due to move to livery soon, will cut back on the hay then.

Because of the risk of EGS i'll still be giving them some hay to keep their gut ticking over but it wont be a huge amount.

We are all still feeding hay/haylage on our yard. Our field is pretty bare and not due to move into summer field until 1st week may. Sometimes he eats loads and other days, not a lot at all. Thet are still finding grass in the field but its defo not enough

We have literally no grass left in our winter paddock - just mud, so yes. I did have Tango in a field with some grass but now everywhere is wet again so he's come back in to the mud as it was getting trashed. Booooooooo

Sam won't feel to hard done to then:redface:

Mine are getting a large bale slice, I think it equates to half a small bale between two 14.2's. They are on three acres that they have been on all winter so although the grass is only just starting to grow, Sam could do with dropping a few pounds... But shhhhhh... Don't tell him that:tongue:

They were hungry tonight though :wink:

Yeah, my guys are still getting hay and they positively DIVE on it so I know they're still hungry. The grass is definitely greening up and starting to come through but I'll supplement them for a little longer yet. It's only been mild for a few days. I have two paddocks and closed one of them off about 3 weeks ago so when that has grown a bit I'll swap them into it and stop the hay then.... probably around the end of the month....

my 3 are only in about 1.5 acres of grass which has been grazed all winter, it is starting to grow but gets munched straight away. I have though this week started reducing the size of their night hay net - they are now getting 3/4 full nets at night, haylage to munch when in during the day if i bring in to ride, or a less than a net of haylage in the field if im just poo picking not riding. Mine are also out naked. Moet/Major who are ridden lots are not tubby at all, they are positively streamlined for cobs, i watch their weight though specifically whilst i adjust their net size and rugless situation.

perhaps im reducing it too soon, will up it for a bit longer :)

Yep as they had the run of nearly the whole field over winter so it looks like a bowling green.

Rations have been reduced though as they don't need feed to keep warm.

Zeb and the 2 shetlands are having a slice between them am and pm, Hattie and Bertie 2 slices each.

Still on winter hard feed and slice and half of hay at night and during that day. His weight is perfect and he is in medium work load with no grass in the field at all. They move fields in 2 weeks but not that much grass in that one either even through it has been rested for 6 months!!! our fields are :poop:

I weigh tape once a week and am very quick to adjust feed and hay.

I never started feeding hay. I've had loads of grass and no mud. Joy has predictably gained weight over winter despite being out 24/7 unrugged with a low trace clip and the same token feed of good doer chaff for her vits and mins powder. Can't wait for the drier weather so I can restrict her grazing again and get her back to her summer weight. Littles needed help in the feed and rug department though as he's feeling his age.

I feed 4-6 flakes every morning, they also get 2 feed bags full in the afternoon but they are a tb on his first winter living out and an oldie.

Hens looks pretty fab, slightly better condition now than this time last year.

just put out another round bale yesterday.
barely any grass and the neds were actually looking quite lean.
will be restricting the lami prone mares access to it though as she has weight gained slightly.
Considering going down to rain sheets all round too.

Cracker's still getting a bag at night, the ground is so dry the grass isn't really comming yet.

He dives on it, but he'd do that if he was full to bursting.

Can feel ribs, and he's not fat, so don't think it'll hurt.

They arw hetting a slice each in the hay box plus what ever they can find (won't be much as field has been grazed all winter.

D is getting 4 slices in his stable at night and S is getting 2 in the haybox at night. They won't move onto summer pasture until its been sprayed for ragwort in april.

newrider.com