Anyone out there riding with a hip replacement??

Monty

Nov 16, 2001
On a farm
Visit site
Had date for my hip replacement today.....21st April 2004. This is one of those resurfacing jobbies, which are far less drastic than your total hip replacement. I'm told I can carry on, but doc doesn't know anyone else who has one, who does...if you see what I mean........
Anyone do it?? Or know a man who can, as they say....?????:D

Zingy

Nov 18, 2001
Visit site
Good luck Monty :) I know someone who does ride with a hip replacement (though not right now as she's just had the other one done as well!). She can only ride thin weedy things and has to be very careful with saddles (low cantles as she finds getting on and off difficult, and minimal or no knee rolls). It's also fairly weather dependant - cold/ damp makes it more difficult. Having said all that though apparently (going off what I've been told as I wasn't around at the time) she didn't do her exercises properly after the operation, which I'm told makes a huge amount of difference. As a result the replacement has never been as good as it could and what she can do is therefore limited. Apparently it is a completely different story if you do what you're supposed to.

tubby

Sep 30, 2003
Cheshire
I live in cheshire & there is a man who does a lot of dressage judging locally who has had both done! He rides & seems to encounter no problem , would think that ( like so many things ) that it was more to do with determination & doing the exercises.Good luck:):):)

Ginger Thing

Jul 10, 2003
Staffordshire
A lady who used to be on our yard had one hip replaced, started riding again (very soon after!) and was waiting for her second one.Her horse was a 17hh ex-racer, and she was only a little thing, hunting and doing all sorts!
There was also an article in one of the horse magazines a couple of years back about people who'd had their hips replaced and were riding again - it can be done!
Good luck!

Billybo

Highland ponies, fab!
May 30, 2003
Scotland
Visit site
My sharer had a hip replacement 4 months ago and she's now happily hacking one of my (extra wide!) highlands a couple of times a week with no problems at all!

She had a bad fall off a horse a few years ago which resulted in a broken hip. Although she went back to riding she never really recovered properly from the injury and was in a lot of pain. She decided to go with the op when it was offered to her and has never looked back!

Good luck with yours, I'm sure you'll be the same!

Mags x

eml

Apr 29, 2002
Leicestershire
www.ivanhoeequestrian.net
One of my customers rides with two artificial hips but she tells me that she had to negotiate with her surgeon for ones that allow some sideways movement. If you want more info I will sound her out. Her only real difficulty is mounting and dismounting for which she needs a really patient horse but I am sure Willow will cope!

Lgd

Jan 14, 2002
Sunderland, UK
Visit site
One of the top UK dressage riders has had both hips replaced - can't remember who it was but the article was about riding after hip replacements. Think it was in Horse and Hound - might be worth checking on their archive.

LindaAd

Feb 20, 2000
Dorset, UK
Visit site
One of my neighbours rides with a hip replacement - she's training to be a dressage judge, and she rides beautiful warmbloods. She was in great pain before the replacement - couldn't ride for more than about 10 mins or so - but now she's fine.

I know another, an instructor, who's had two; she's short and stocky and rides Welsh cobs, and she's fine too.

They seem to work really well. Good luck with yours!

Tinkerbell

Wicca-wah!
May 6, 2003
Visit site
The thing with hip replacements is, you have to be careful not to adduct too far, abduct too far, or do the splits. ;) The risk of dislocation is a complication of joint replacement surgery and is absolute agony. The surgeon/physios have advice/exercises for post-op patients and they are the best source of information.

I have encountered fewer hip resurfacing ops than replacement ops but as this surgery would presumably involve dislocation of the hip joint - possibly increasing the risk of future dislocations?

I'm sure Monty already knows this, as a SRN, but I would like to reiterate that whatever anyone has said on here cannot replace the advice of the multi disciplinary team.

Good luck with the op :D