anyone on here 'swapped' horses

What do you mean by swap? Giving someone else your horse and you having theirs? or just riding someone else's horse for a while and they ride yours?

I don't see why that could not work, but even if you are the 'best of friends'
do it properly, contracts drawn up etc., I have been in a position over the years where I have LOANED 'friends' Horses and vice versa and it 'could'
cause problems so best get everything down on paper agreement wise
whilst the Friendship is good, so that everything is covered if anything
goes wrong :wink:

I'd actually thought about this with JJ's future - sort of thought if I could find somebody I knew and trusted with an older ploddy horse whos ready for the quiet occasional hacking life with me -and their owner wanted a younger more forward going boy like my JJ then a swop would be ideal?:unsure:

Trouble is - where do you find somebody I trust enough with my precious horse and who would also trust me enough with their precious chappy?

In theory I think under some circumstances a swap could work - but as suggested, would need careful thought and wording of some sort of agreement to protect both partys wouldnt it?:smile:

That's the thing, trusting someone else with your horse. Your hear so many things about loans and such going bad, and horses being used and abused and being sent back a wreck and being sold whilst on loan, it really puts you off.

On another note, my cob sounds like he would be perfect for what you want Cortrasna, but he has been with us so long now it's hard to think of him anywhere else :unsure:

That's the thing, trusting someone else with your horse. Your hear so many things about loans and such going bad, and horses being used and abused and being sent back a wreck and being sold whilst on loan, it really puts you off.

On another note, my cob sounds like he would be perfect for what you want Cortrasna, but he has been with us so long now it's hard to think of him anywhere else :unsure:

oooh - dont tell me that No Angel - couldnt you possibly imagine him over here enjoying his semi retirement with my little herd!:smile: Couldnt I tempt you to part with him ????? Promise Id love him and spoil him!:angel::giggle:

Be careful if you dont know them well, many years ago we bought my young daughter a tb (very stupid idea) she was a lovely mare but absolutely unstoppable on a track cut a long story short both me and my daughter had several falls from her when she took off without warning and eventually I said enough is enough. I advertised her and told truth about her said she needed a very experienced rider and would consider swap or part ex for a smaller horse. A woman phoned up and said she had a 14.2 cob who was safe and she was an experienced rider having worked in a racing stable so used to tb s
I went up to see hers and it seemed ideal she told me she was 5.5 years and it was so well behaved I had no reason to doubt (passports not essential 20 years ago) she then came and met my horse and she rode her and handled her very well probably a confidence issue but I was happy she could ride her okay. She then started to rush me to do a straight swap as soon as poss as my young daughter was misering to do it as well I went ahead with it the next weekend. We got on so well with the cob and started to show her daughter was coming on leaps and bounds with her riding after 6 months we were having my own horse shod and my daughter was at the yard with the farrier when he asked about the cob in the stable and said he thought it was stolen from one of his friends and he would call me in the eveing, which he did and came out with the friend to my home and sure enough the guy had pics and papers for the cob (who by the way was only 2.5 yo) I said I had swapped her for my tb and he told me when she had been stolen and it all fitted in with dates. I said I would speak to the police about where I stood and would contact him the next day, I did this and the police said as I had possession of her I should keep her as long as poss till sorted out and best to move her to another yard which I did immediately and we didnt tell anyone where we went. Case went to court and we lost but all I could do was sue the girl I got her off but as she had no money and didnt own her house was pointless. After owning the horse for almost a year we lost her, we offered to buy her again but man was having none of it he wanted to breed from her so we offered to put her in foal and still buy her and let him have the foal but again he said no so she had to go, we found where she was and went up to the field several times to see her and it was such a shame after being loved and ridden for a year she was alone in a field and he never did anything with her please please be careful

newrider.com