Anyone made their own stuff?

OdyPony

Feb 6, 2014
I love making and doing. Had anyone made their own horse bits and bobs? I'd love to see photos for inspiration! I've just dug out my Jean Perry "make your own horse clothing/equipment" and want some inspiration! Lol :)

I made the ponies matching show sets for this season but there in the loft.

They both have a hood, rug and womble has tail bandages. Wombles set is blue polks dots and junes is pink polka dots. Also were making our own concourse outfit for this year. When puppy stops growing ill make him a coat (for next winter) as he hates the rain and getting wet

Eta - june has a full customised bridle and martingale in pink silver and purple and has a new browband for every show we do. Im quite artsy and craftsy

Wonderful! What did you make them from?

Fleece! Bought off eBay for a couple of quid! Few bits of velcro! Voila!

Womble is having a new faceless hood as well so he has 1 to wear overnight before shows and 1 clean one for the showground. He has an unruley thick cob double mane and it needs to be tamed for the ring!

Ooh I would love to see pictures of the bridle set :) I'm learning leathercraft but the tools are very pricy. I love arts and crafts. I can't find a matchy matchy set I particularly like so I'm going to have to make one ;) lol

The only thing I've made is my hay steamer and my jump wings both of which I'm delighted with. Oh and I did make a shimmable numnah too which saved a fortune. I'm debating making a hi viz parsons rump but to be honest it's probably cheaper to buy that.

Santa sleigh bells for the lights being switched on, I didn't knit the ganseys.

This set of exercise harness

This set of red harness for this junior whip yo march the cart.

Singles show harness

pairs show harness

and some tandem show harness, and a few other odds and sods

I made my own hi viz as I have a rather large horse that nothing fits, I made a padlock cosy to keep it from freezing in winter, I've made hay feeders with tyres stacked ontop of each other secured with cable ties (and used as footballs by the horses when not stuffed with hay).
I like problem solving by making stuff rather than buying. (As I have no money lol!)
I made my own grip numnahs with thin Numnah and shelf liner - he's a thick skinned rotund horse so saddle fitter said it was best deal.

I made a quilted stable rug for my last horse, a set of travel boots, converted blankets into under rugs and made quilted waistcoats from a teeny one for a toddler up to a size 54" chest and several quilted jackets. I kitted out most of the liveries and their families and was quite relieved when I had no more orders.

newrider.com