Anyone know anything about renewing driving license?

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
Had a letter through on Sat telling me I am now old and have to renew my driving license. I've had to change back to using my trailer as pony refused to load into my 3.5 ton van, and I will be taking my trailer test.

Does anyone know if I have to pay to renew my license after taking my trailer test?

jovi_y2k2

Apr 5, 2002
South Yorkshire
Is it just renewing the photocard? OH had to do that recently and he filled in the renewal form and sent off a photo. Think it cost £25.

If it's renewing tests, I have no idea!

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
The letter was renewing my photocard, it costs £20 to do, but I don't want to have to be paying to renew it again in a few months if I have to have renew it again once i've done my trailer test :unsure:

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
I got my license 10 years ago, I'm 27. I have to take my trailer test to be able to pull my horse trailer (trailer and my 4x4 weigh over 3.5 ton) so I assume when I take my trailer test I will need to update the catergories on my license saying I am able to tow a larger trailers, which means I will have to pay another £20 and send my license away to get it updated, I was just wondering if that was the case, or if I don't need to update my license once passing my trailer test and I don't need to rush through my trailer test so I can update my license.

Rubic

Equine Karaoke Queen
Apr 15, 2012
Glasgow
Phone the test centre and check but I *think* that when you pass your trailer test they take your licence off you and send you out the updated one, a bit like what happened when you pass your normal driving test?? I would hope that after paying for the test itself that a new licence would be included in the price!

MAC66

Jun 18, 2009
Kent
When did you get your original license? And how far off 70 are you? (70 is when you need medicals etc I think)

I have just renewed my licence on reaching 70 and I had to fill in a form which asked if I had various conditions and some of these could have required information from my doctor and/or optician with possibly a medical but this wasn't necessary. So no, a medical isn't an automatic requirement.

If you passed your driving test before January 1997 you may not need to take a trailer test, if you check the DVLA Licences web site there is a section there all about trailer tests and licences.

I notice on my new licence I have got trailer towing on it.

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
Misleading post as properly old people do need frequent renewals -
We dont pay for these - and you dont need a medical either if you are fit and well. We just have to sign to certify that we are still fine.

May be they sent you the wrong letter?

Oldarida

Nov 9, 2011
Merseyside
Misleading post as properly old people do need frequent renewals -
We dont pay for these - and you dont need a medical either if you are fit and well. We just have to sign to certify that we are still fine.

May be they sent you the wrong letter?

Photocard licences HAVE to be renewed every 10 years (to update the photo) & you HAVE TO PAY for the renewal - or to put it another way, it's another stealth tax :stomp: :stomp:
I do NOT like politicians

(& I'm hanging on to my old paper licence as long as I can!!!!)

Kis Vihar

Nutty Saddlers !
Photocard licences HAVE to be renewed every 10 years (to update the photo) & you HAVE TO PAY for the renewal - or to put it another way, it's another stealth tax :stomp: :stomp:
I do NOT like politicians

(& I'm hanging on to my old paper licence as long as I can!!!!)

This!! ;)

I have a myriad of licences/paper things now! Bloody rip-off being forced to pay to renew it!