Anyone know anything about Derwen Welsh Cobs??

Ace87

Quitus & Strike
Aug 8, 2007
Bedfordshire
Hi all, as the title says, does anyone know anything about Derwen Welsh Cobs? I had a look at the Derwen stud website but it doesn't give you much info about them!

Need some info as I may have an introduction to make to you all!! Fingers crossed ;) xxx

In my humble opinion as a HUGE Welsh Cob fan.... a cob with Derwen bloodlines is from the BEST bloodline! :D

If I was looking for a Welsh Sec D now, I would go for Derwen / Nebo bloodlines. They are just, in my opinion, superb, and Derwen cobs always seem to be exactly what a Welsh Cob should be! (Not wanting to be shot down in flames here, but there are some Welsh D's on the show-circuit now which look more like TB's than anything else! - Not that I don't like TB's.....!)

My best friend in the UK visited the Derwen stud a couple of years back, she said it was fantastic. I have a leaflet about them somewhere in my office, but sadly it's in Dutch!!!!

I totally agree with you about the sporty Sec D's! I viewed a couple in the last year that were from apparantly good blood lines but looked too TBish to be proper Section Ds!

I love the Derwen characterists in that they are big & sturdy, flashy paces, pretty heads and nice manners.

I've been learning all about them today and would def appreciate more info from any Derwen owners and pics, lots of pics!

I'm hoping to be able to tell you all about one who's caught my eye (her trot is out of this world ;))

my mare has alot of derwen breeding on her sires side. lots of nebo as well ;)

this is her (not the best pictures sorry)
DSC00175.jpg

bad quality (not me riding)

Have to agree with the foregoing - I bred Welsh Cobs and large Part-breds for years and both Derwen and Nebo lines were amongst the best although there are many more excellent studs. Too many to mention.
A visit to the Derwen Stud is unforgettable - Ifor and the rest of the Lloyd Family have forgotten more than most of us will ever learn about cobs.
You will spend the rest of the week lifting your jaw off the ground because that it where it will land when you view the fields with mares and foals. Not sure which of his boys they are standing just now but my teeth used to peel at the sight of some of the stallions.
Also have to agree with the comments about some of the legs becoming too light of bone but that is the case with far too many of the Native Breeds.
When people move into the breeds they want them to perform in all spheres and some of them are just not built to do so, so they set about breeding them into the shape and size they want. They should leave the Native Breeds alone but that is another argument, isn't it?
A Welsh Cob can perform Dressage to a very high level, go X country, undertake Endurance Riding and I have had some very fast little showjumpers amongst my lot - all without shedding any bone!!!!
I hope you get your cob - you will have so much fun with a fantastic animal - but watch out - cobs get the better of you and you'll end up with more than one!!!!

This is my boy Murphy...plenty of Derwen blood on his dam's side....I can definately agree with the pretty heads and flash paces...he has a killer extended trot..:D

murphy567.jpg

smaller.jpg

Hi all, as the title says, does anyone know anything about Derwen Welsh Cobs? I had a look at the Derwen stud website but it doesn't give you much info about them!

Need some info as I may have an introduction to make to you all!! Fingers crossed ;) xxx

Derwen cobs are great.As are Nebo ones.

Derwen is a very famous stud based near Aberaeron in West Wales. They have been breeding for years. In the 60's Ifor Lloyd's father used to buy a lot of mountain ponies off my grandfather to sell abroad.
They also owned the prolific stallion Nebo Black Magic, who is in the breeding of the majority of welsh cobs.

Thanks guys, not sure if it's all going to work out with this horse, it certainly can jump and has done 100mile endurance rides but owner is being a bit difficult atm so will keep you all posted. Looks similar to the ones pictured in this thread!

if the horse is capable to do what you want go for it!

i know mine is the most laid-back calm and just easy to do horse i have ever met, but still has spark and character.
she can turn it on though and has some go in her and turns heads when we are out- perfect show animal :D

there is another thread about them today, my fillys granda is derwen desert express, she is cross with a standardbred and has recently decided that she is x section d and chucked out hugely i have a pic somewhere, i had no idea about her breeding when i bought her but now i know i am impressed after researching it

newrider.com