Anyone heard of this before?

graciemoo

graciemoo.co.uk
I have had my mare on loan now 8 months. Since I took her on she has always had a small lump under her skin behind her jaw, under the windpipe. I just thought it was part and part of Grace. However, recently she seems a bit "wheezey" when cantering, which stable girl said could be the oil seed rape pollen affecting her as it's dying back (affect quite a few on the yard) and that its nothing to worry about. But after jumping the other day and Grace getting very hot and excited, this lumped looked bigger than normal. So I got a few people to have a look, and it doesn't seem to hurt her when you feel it, just a bit uncomfortable, like her ears go back a bit. I have the vet coming out on Fri for vaccination for her anyway, so they are going to look at it then. A woman on the yard had a mare that had this for 10 years and it was just a fatty lump, never caused a problem.
The lump is hardish, and you can move it about under the skin.
Has anyone had this before that could shed any light on it prior to vets?
Will let you know what the vet says on Fri, as I'd imagine that I am going to have to ride her to show wheezing...
Well done for all who got through that!! :D x

I had the dentist out to Misty a couple of months ago and he found a small, hard lump under her jaw just above where the noseband goes. I'd never noticed this before. It hasn't grown in size and he reckoned she'd perhaps knocked herself. He told me to keep an eye on it, but when the vet came out to do her vaccination she said it was almost certainly a lump caused by a knock and there was nothing to worry about. Its about the size of a pea.

No Grace's lump is behind the jaw as you look from the side and under the windpipe right at the top of the neck, like almost where the jaw and windpipe leave a triangle of skin at the top - it's in there - in the throat. It was about the size of a golf ball the other night, but is usually smaller than that, and can be mainly seen from her right, i.e. its not central...

Last edited:
It might be a fatty lipoma? Not sure if I've got that right but Storm had a weird lump which didn't hurt her when you pressed it (well her ears didn't go back!) and it kind of moved. Vet said it was harmless enough. Maybe thats the same thing?

Maybe so. Did it ever get any bigger, like when she exercised and got really hot? Was it only to one side like Grace's?
I am worried about it, though I know it's not particularly bothering her until you feel it, and then she seems to look a bit uncomfortable but not in pain...

newrider.com