Anyone had male dogs urinating

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
indoors?

Bit of background, we have a 3 year old rescue terrier bitch (now spayed) and ever since she came to us (2 years ago and heavily in pup:stomp:) her bladder control hasnt been brilliant, mainly due to the fact nobody had ever house trained her. She still occasionally has accidents but no big deal - out comes the anti bac etc. and we never chastise her as she is VERY nervous due to previous obvious cruel treatment.

Anyway last couple of weeks, she has seemed to be having accidents, and we have tried putting her out much more frequently in the hope it will help her sort herself out. But still finding piddles dotted about.

BUT- today OH was sitting on sofa with little 12 year old (now slightly demented!) JRT. Humphrey slid of the sofa, walked a few paces piddling as he went and crashed into the open door of the sitting room. OH said he just looked slightly bewildered and embarrassed (my poor little HUmpty boy:unsure:) As it was a long trickle across the floor - we now think it has been himself having accidents and not the little bitch.

Now - Humphrey has never peed without cocking his leg until now. Has always been absolutely reliable with house training and could go for hours without having a pee. He is however getting a little odd. Will stand in the room and just cry not seeming to know where he is, is getting deaf and now we think his sight isnt too good either. Also often just looks vague and bewildered - dont we all?:redface:

We will be taking him to vet for check up - but we suspect he is just getting incontinent along with his alzeihmers(sp?) type dementia stuff?

Question is - do you think this could be a dementia type thing - do old dogs and cats get this in anyone's experience. Personally I have never had it with a dog and not too sure - best thing would be an infection and antibiotics - but just have this feeling there is something else going on.

I had that for a while with Leo when he was younger. It turned out he had a really hard to shift urinary infection. He probably had it when I got him as he was always quite smelly when he peed.

It took me about 3 months to finally get it cleared up and at one point we had him scanned to make sure everything was where it was meant to be. He ended up with a course of propalin syrup which is to stop incontinance to let all his wee tubes settle down as even once we had got the infection under control everything was still irritated. He was very very dopey and sleepy while all this was going on - not your usual collie at all.

He could actually be lying sleeping and it was dripping out of him. It wasnt pleasant for any of us! I was really worried it was going to be permanent but it was just a case of finding the right antibiotic :D

I have had first hand experience with dementia in dogs, OH and I lost our beloved Tanis to dementia in March. She was just not her self and was actually causing herself harm when evey we went out (she was left with our to springers so never on her own)

We were given tablets for her but unfortunatly they did help that much. She went down hill really quickly but our vets were great. Defo go and see them.

thanks all - very interesting link and had a bit of a google too and he is showing many signs of dementia it would seem.:poop:

I did remember what happened with Tanis, OC, but TBH I felt the symptoms you had where far more extreme than with Humphrey so was clinging on to that in the hope it might not be so.

Poor little pooch, we have had to go down in the middle of night a couple of times lately because he has started making a very frightened sort of yelping sound and when we find him he is just standing in the dark staring at nothing, but he does immediately know its us and wag his little stump.

Shall take him to the vets next week, at the moment I am the only one in the house on my feet so as he needs to be held now when he travels in the car I will wait for OH or son to be able to come with me.

Why oh why do we have pets? Just breaks your flipping heart when they start to fall to pieces doesnt it?

Very similar to how my dog Freckle was with old age. He had dementia too. WE thought the accidents were possibly due to a enlarged prostate so he had injections to make it smaller but it still didn't really help.

Admittedly he then started crying all day and hiding away so we did what we thought was best. His eyesight started to fail and he had a sore head and neck so menegitis was suspected at the end.

Hope things look up for you though, sending healing vibes.

Our dog would also go to toilet in the house. I would be happily watching tv in the lounge and i would hear what sounded like a tap running, go into the kitchen and the dog would be peeing in the floor. We never told him of for it instead we went back to treating him like a puppy, putting him out after few hours. Sometimes when we did want to go out he would walk out then forget why he went outside, bless him.

newrider.com