Anyone had mains electric put in recently?

When we built the new house about 7-8 years ago it cost us about £3000 to get the mains supply put in, but there was a hydro pole with a transformer on it about 200 yards from the house.

There is a woman not far away who, it is rumoured has spend 10 times that to get on the mains as the nearest hydro pole was about a mile away. But it was the electricity companies fault it was not on the mains as they did not renew the poles 15 years back as the house was empty at the time. SO they might have backed down.

There is no power to my stable block and barns and the estate looked into it, there is also planning for a house there, and about 5k was quoted to run everything from the other buildings a few hundred yards away.
I've still no mains and have a big torch, a generator and portable lights as yet!

A friend of mine enquired a few years ago.
She has a telegraph pole at the corner of her field so thought they could bring it down the edge of her land to the stables, but no.
The supply would have to come down the main road in through her field entrance.
Think it would of cost about £20.000.

The cheapest way is to dig the trench yourself, or at least get a contractor to do it, as the electricity board charges a fortune.

The cheapest way is to dig the trench yourself, or at least get a contractor to do it, as the electricity board charges a fortune.

Yes we said about doing as much as possible ourselves. Just looking at options. I mean if it cost 5k then its not bad, we had about 6k stolen so if they did it again it would pay for itself to have it and have it alarmed and wired up.

We ran the electric off the house - was about £500 all done, including the mahoosive cable etc. Guessing it would have been a lot more to start from scratch tho.

We got the contractors to dig and backfill when they put the founds in, Hydro Electric still stiff you.

newrider.com