Anyone had a point strap fitted onto a treeless?

griffin

Jan 3, 2008
Hi!
I've currently got a Torsion delux treeless which both my cob and I love but she does have a very forward deep girth groove so no matter where I originally place the saddle it always ends up right up her neck. I've got the moon girth that Torsion recommend but it makes little difference.Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did you do? I am considering getting a point strap fitted but I don't know anyone who can do it. Has anyone had one fitted to a treeless and if so can they recommend anyone? Not getting any help from Torsion.
I really feel that this can't be good for my cob and I'm seriousy thinking about changing saddles but I can't find any treeless with point straps.Any help would be greatly appeciated! Thanks!

best thing ive found for treeless saddles moving forwards is western rigging, it allows movement on the ring and the saddle stays put whilst the girth can move forward.
Also a good non slip pad helps.
:)

A point strap would be a bit difficult since the saddle doesn't have points! You might be able to get the whole girth attachment moved forwards. Not heard of anyone doing that with a torsion but freeforms used to come with different girth strap position for forward girth grooves.

If you do change saddle Freeforms now have a flexible girth attachement that suits different girth groove positions and SBS and Fhoenix saddles have girth straps similar to a treed dressage saddle so can move around a lot more than torsion type girth straps.

Hi No Angel and MelanieD!
Thank you for your help on this! The point strap is my clumsy attempt to explain my problem..... . Only one saddler has offered to help and he has said that he would have to stitch right through the saddle ..not sure how that would work.I'll certainly investigate your suggestions! I now think that I will have to try a different model...I have been reluctant to as the Torsion was so expensive but tampering with the girth position might not be such a good idea. I'm also on my fifth type of non slip pad as regardless of how much I tighten the girth it does slip sideways as well so a new treeless might be a better option altogether.
I can borrow a saddle pad with Western rigging from a friend and try that out to see if it stays in place. I've also e-mailed the Freeform people and Heather Moffat to get their views..... I think I will just have to take a deep breath and invest in a new treeless that is designed for this problem.
Thank you again for your suggestions.

Torsion actually give western rigging as an option on some of their saddles, if you like your saddle, and your horse likes your saddle its much easier to try and adapt it than buy another (i know , been there done that!)
Either email Torsion and send it back to them to be converted (if it can) or get a saddler to do it.
I think torsion girth straps are only sewn on to the flap, so it would be easy enough to change.

newrider.com