Anyone got any idead on how to stop a pony 'running off'?!

sophiepony123

Sophie
May 8, 2008
Hampshire
We recently got a new pony on loan from a friend to bring on over the summer.
He has got loads better on the ground like being caught in the field, standing still on the yard etc etc...
but the problem comes with riding, the old owner said he bucked all the time, but he has never thrown a buck in whilst we have had him, so we put it down to his old owner's badly fitting tack/ not regular riding etc...
We got a saddle, bridle and bit fitted for him, so we have ruled pain out. he is sound, just unfit.
You can take him out on hacks and he will be fine, walking, trotting or cantering he is as good as gold. but as soon as he is down in our school he canters off and is very bargy and chargey, although he does not do it with me, it is with the girl that shares him with me, who is novicy, but not completly noivcey, its just her first pony.
He gets stupid if you turn a corner, like he will take any oportunity to take off into canter, and the only reason she manages to stop is because i go right in front of him trying to stop him.
Its a hard situation because im really to big to ride him alot, and me riding him won't help her get any better.
Ask if you want any more information, or got any questions!
All advice welcome!

p.s. He is a 6 or 7 year old (not to sure) connemara 13hh, if that helps anything!

Sorry if this is in the wrong section :S

It also sounds like maybe he finds the work difficult. Perhaps you are more balanced so that helps to balance him better so he doesn't feel the need to run off with you.

I have a pony that will take the mick with any new rider, experienced or not, it's like an initiation for her but she is also still building up her muscles so she runs away alot to avoid the harder work.

One rein stop is good, I've used it on Roxy when she tried to b*gger off and buck at a show and it really put a stop to her plans :D

lol sounds just like my bros connemara at shows im riding him at comps to get hiim used 2 NOT running away, can you not get somebody else to help..?!

Also my riding instructor says to carry a small whip and as hes very wizzy and scared of it if you even just rub it on his neck he moves :)

Perhaps the novice rider should have some lessons on the lunge? Stopping and starting using her seat more than hands. Ride relaxed seat with shoulders back, breathing and thinking slow , tensing up can make everything go pear shaped.

It sounds potty but the rider could try having a chat with pony about what she wants him to do and how she wants him to behave it will calm them both down. It certainly helped my daughter with our pony tanking off, she would take off with her all the time perhaps thinking it was what my daughter wanted but since they have before ride chats miraculously has all calmed down. My daughter tries to think calm, big heavy bottom and shoulders back, also sometimes counts strides in canter to 8 and then over again the rythym seems to work too.

Bonne chance

Jess likes to do that, except she whips round first, i carry my whip down her neck pointing towards her head to stop her stinning (she ran backwards an reared on thursday cause i wouldnt let her spin!!! :rolleyes:)

I would do circle work and try and keep his neck supple, thats the problem i have with jess, she fixes her neck and mouth so you cant turn once shes gone!

Good luck!

newrider.com