Anyone got a gps for riding, i think mine is wrong!

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
today went for a hack and it said we'd covered 3.5 miles, well yes i can agree with that part i think we did.

but it then said our max speed was 8mph, i checked it definately said mph. well my little guy is only 14hh with ickle legs and we only trotted!:eek: that sounds way too quick, considering his walk is so slow and crap!

picture.php

that's length of his ickle legs.

ps yes i know he's carrying too much weight, he is now 420kg and i need to get him to slim down.

my friend who does endurance thought it was quick as the entry level for endurance is 6mph.

of course he won't keep this up as our roads are up and down and round blind bends and rough ground.

so it could be accurate then, and that's his slow trot, it wasn't extended out.

I would say 8mph is about right for trotting.

My lad is 14.3, we walk at 5mph, trot at 7mph, and foxtrot around 10mph, but can go up to 15mph and canter at around 10 mph.

his walk is awful and average 3mph, i've dozed off by then! it's always been like that he's not yet learnt to extend the walk for more than about 5 strides, his natural walk gait is 3mph.

no-angel he does have a weird trot though which is really really fast but smooth you can almost sit to it, sort of floating along. not really sure if it's extended or something else.

i was told he has a pony of the america's canter whatever that is:eek:, can only describe it as four beat canter not a three and he looks like a kangaroo! all four legs seem to come down and come off ground.

i want one!

instead, i will have to get my mum following us down the road as we trot to work out how fast she goes :D

blackies trot (when i ask for her to step up a gear) is phenomenal (yay for google spellcheck ;)) very very fast and very smooth and just easy to ride. i imagine it will be more towards 18-ish mph because the cars start to grind more when you hear them change back to 3rd gear if that makes sense.

well we had a horsebox follow us the other day when she was doing this trot and they nearly knackered the clutch trying to get past :eek: there was billowing black smoke, choking fumes the lot!

My Garmin Forerunner 305 (meant for runners and bikers so designed for low speed and wrist mounted) says we normally walk at 3.5 to 4 mph, trot at 6 to 13mph so I would think yours is probably about right. Of course there will be some error, I think the manufacturer will give figures.

it's a garmin gps and it fits round my wrist and is waterproof.

it's that sensitive that if i pull in to a layby to let car go it notes it!!

did a canter and it came in at 11.3mph but he has a naturally collected canter not much difference really.

My gps in the car always reckons I am going about 3-5 mph more than the speedo says.

That's unusual, most speedos are set a couple of MPH too fast so GPS normally shows up slower than a speedo.

Anyway, 8mph doesnt seem too fast when you think an everage walking pace for humans is 3-4mph with an active walk (but not speed walking) at 5mph. I was in the scouts and we used to train for distance walks at 5mph so I'm pretty good now at working out how fast I'm going!

newrider.com