Anyone else's horse sheding their coat?

PePo

Jun 4, 2014
Or is it just me that always remembers I'm mildly allergic to horses at this time of year ...?!

Shedding pony. Check. Red eyes & sneezing? Check. Hair at the back of the throat. Check.

He'll be resembling a yeti in no time at all, so for now I'll appreciate him looking vaguely presentable :D

PodE33A.jpg

Last edited:
Yes! Mylo’s coat is flying off him.
Star used to make me sneeze and come out in a rash when she changed her coat, but so far, I have no reaction to Mylo.

Reactions: PePo
Pete looks very presentable - what a handsome boy :cool:

I know it's coat change time because Raf has started getting rubs where things touch him, mainly my legs - he looks like a threadbare teddy where my legs sit (obviously I don't have still legs :oops: ). Nothing under the saddle yet, but it usually rubs round the back edges of the numnah, although I think I have a different numnah this year so fingers crossed. Apparently it's quite common in Arabs - I don't know about other breeds.

Jess gets that too @Bodshi, the bit at the back of the numnah especially.

The little boys started a month ago, Jess has started a little, not much yet but she doesn't do the drastic change the boys do as she has such a fine coat.

Reactions: PePo and Bodshi
Storm is shedding and Zi too. Chloe never sheds or renews much, it's always been the same, due to the prascend. Zi had his haughty "you may touch me to groom me" face on this morning:p:D

Yup. I have been leaning over Rhan the last few days and I am covered in her hairs. Torin has also started and Tigger seems to have suddenly started going fluffy again after being sheared so seems they are definitely preparing for winter!

Pete looks gorgeous :D

Ziggy has been for more than a month!

Same here, Belle is beginning to get very woolly now. I always miss her summer coat when she starts growing her winter one, but then when her winter coat is fully grown in I love it, so dense and fluffy, I love the colour change too from pale to dark and her dorsal stripe shows up much more in winter.

And yes Pete look gorgeous too :D

It took me ages to get Zi looking half respectable for a ride today! Brush brush and more brush and now of course I am covered in ginger hairs. Heheheee, it's not quite like the Ladybird book I remember as a child, K am sure the rider in there didn't get covered!!!lol
Anyone got any good tips for grooming as in easy ways to get them looking less like a shabby moth eaten horse to a reasonable one? Greys are much easier, neither girls ever looks this bad!

Yes Billy is moulting. So was Chunky, but I dealt with that at the weekend. Nothing to really moult now he's had his full clip. Just wish I could do Billy. He's getting sweaty and I hate having to hose him when it's cold. But if I don't it sparks rainscald.

newrider.com