Anyone Else's Horse Not Get Up?

sjp1

Sep 14, 2009
Toby this morning at half six was lying down in the field when friend and I went out to unrug them. It was still dark and as this is the first morning we have had our headtorches on I thought he would have a heart attack but no, Toby would not get up. I managed to pull a leg out from underneath the rug, kissed him - (usually works!) and tickled his legs. Finally he pulled a front leg out from underneath his rug but then instead of getting up then laid down flat out and started snoring!:giggle:

After tickling the inside of his ear a few minutes later he finally woke up and got up.

This is not the first time he has done that - lovely that he feels so secure in spite of what the lady over the lane from the stables calls rope slapping (NH groundwork lessons), but is this really disrespectful?!

I don't think it's disrepsectful - if he wants a snooze, then so be it! It was early in the morning, usual time for them to have a snooze and he felt happy to do so in your presence so rather than worry about it I'd take it personally (in a lovely way!)

If an animal needs to sleep then so be it - I wouldn't consider it disrespectful at all. Plus like you said, first day of a new routine & he didn't know what to expect.

My boy is the same if his snoozing he wil need a good 15-20mins to get up lol!! :giggle:

He wont get up until ready, i feel awful getting him up straight away (such a softy!)

If hes not up in the 20mins then i will go and push him up. I literally have to rock him hehe :giggle:

Its nice that they feel comfortable enough to snooze around us isnt it :happy:

Tess does this sometimes. I do encourage her to get up if I need to, but only gently :)

If it is Rhia I usually make her get up - because she normally would get up and want to do something, ADHD pony that she is, sees me and wants to play/work. There have been a couple of times when she hasn't (in 8 years) and it has worried me that she is sick so I have forced her up to check and she was fine both times :) didn't take much persuading either. Holly on the other hand is a lazy git and her being flat out is normal behaviour so I always leave her in peace.

Hehehehe our Joe is still in bed in a morning if I go down too early!lol. OH usually talks him into getting up.....hehehehe. I always think its nice if they are happy to lie down and be so settled.

Rusty did this one day last winter - it was a cold but sunny afternoon and he was flat out. He lifted his head when he saw me but then put it back down :wub: I sat down beside him on some hay and just patted his head. Didn't have the heart to make him get up, and he just snoozed the afternoon away. Love that he felt so relaxed with me, he could do this.

Mine don't tend to stay down as they look forward to coming up to the barn with me. I have been able to sneak up a couple of times tgough.

I have a couple of lovely old pics of Joy the spring after I got her when she was laid down with my daughter (then aged 5) :happy:

177m6s.jpg

6gd4zd.jpg

newrider.com