Anyone Else's Horse Feeling the Joys of Spring Grass?

sjp1

Sep 14, 2009
Rode tonight. Tobes actually actively LOOKING for things to spook at, chucking his head up and down constantly, cantered off up the road because a 'frightening' car passed ...................!!!!

Anyone else having the same?

In a word - yes! And it's not just me, my RI commented on it the other day after riding him for the first time in two weeks too! It's annoying isn't it, and it takes some of the fun out of riding by myself for me (as I'm a wuss!!)

I've ordered some magnesium as apparently the grass is often deficient in it at this time of year, which can make them like this. Am starting it tomorrow so will see if it makes any difference!

Same here :(

My normally well mannered little girl and her fieldmates are chasing each other round the field, then they're tearing lumps out of each other at the gate. Sham's leaning on me all the way down the path from the field, nearly pushing me into the ditch, and one of her fieldmates, who always comes in with her at night, did a full vertical rear when she came out of the field, nearly coming down on her owner's head.

I'll be glad when they settle down again - she's not even come into season yet - can't wait. :(

grass what is that.. well we have some in our field but not a lot but he is eating what is there and he is wild and full of it I LOVE IT:bounce:

He is fiery and little wild but best of all his flat work is amazing once I harness the energy he is awesome, push button leaps the in to the changes and makes schooling so easy.

More grass please:giggle:

Same here.

I got fed up of it tonight and decided if he had energy to piss about he had energy te hack an extra route in trot and canter.

Kept him going a bit longer than he wanted and was a lamb by the end.

Clare 1 Galaxy 0. Until the next ride ;)

She isn't even out on grass as in for worming!! Rode tow nights ago and all she kept doing was bucking... She bucked so hard I winded myself. And then kept running off round the school - she is in season and very keen to show off to the boys :eek;

Rascal... He is bucking and rearing on a lead rope... Madness. We've never really had the joys of spring" but this year is ugly!

Embrace the grass folks!lol, even our retired cob is feeling it - never seen the old girl move much until recently, boy, can she MOVE!!!!

Mine has been like this since the end of last year - dopey, lazy, reliable coblet is now wired to the moon - physio said he was like a stallion on a sugar rush.

It does make for some interesting rides!

She is always a fruit loop but keeping her out nakey is keeping her calm and trim (ish!)

Haven't worked her though however I do recall an awesome 2 legged display and some very enthuisastic canter transitions ... Before the rain hit! Oh dear :|

Yes! My saintly Ben is a turbo charged spooky boy at the moment. He is still sensible but I don't like his silly spooking. Give me back my normal Ben anyday. He had got better after initially going loopy when turned out in his summer field, but a day after the rain he went all silly again. Hopefully it was pass soon.

Yes! My saintly Ben is a turbo charged spooky boy at the moment. He is still sensible but I don't like his silly spooking. Give me back my normal Ben anyday. He had got better after initially going loopy when turned out in his summer field, but a day after the rain he went all silly again. Hopefully it was pass soon.

Even Ben, I don't feel so bad now. Hopefully we will all have calm ponios soon :cool:

newrider.com