Anyone else travelled saddled up?

Lissie

Jan 18, 2016
As title, do anyone of you travel horse with saddle on when you load up? I started doing this for hunting this season and sometimes chuck him on the trailer with saddle on if it's raining or know I won't have much time when I get to the venue. A few people have said they feel sorry for him and look at me like I'm a lazy bad mother but it's a lot easier when you haven't got time to faff about. Horse loads himself and travels very well, he's got plenty of room too, 14.3hh in a ifor Williams 505. He has rug over saddle too. I don't travel with his bride on.

I do. Cover over saddle then rug over the top :) only for short distances or if I'm pressed for time on the other side :)

Glad I'm not the only one! I only do it short journeys and he doesn't seem to mind.

We have done. But I wouldn't now. I don't want to damage my saddle and my stirrups stick out.

I wouldn't do it ut, I know a lot of well seasoned trail horses that get saddled up at home and walk off the trailer ready to go.

That is also common in the western states of the U.S. Where cattle ranches are huge and horses sometimes get carried from one ranch to another, and have to hit the ground ready to go to work.

Personally I never have, but only because I've never felt the need. I can tack up on the box in bad weather and it's as quick to tack up when we arrive as it is before we travel because he's generally good at events and doesn't fidget about or anything. He's also rather accident prone so all in all I prefer not to. I know a lot do though, and I always think they are really efficient and look very professional!

newrider.com