Anyone else totally on their own?

a+e

Jul 3, 2007
suffolk
When reading other peoples posts on here, it usually appears that you all seem to have some kind of 'support network' around you. Obviously if youre on a livery yard theres always other people about to give advice,help you out etc.. or those that keep their horses on rented land usually have another horse owner or two at the same place.
But for those that keep their horses at home or rent somewhere where there is no one else about, how do you cope without any 'horsey friends' about?
I keep my two at my fathers farm since getting my first horse 18 months ago as quite a novice first time owner returning to riding after a long break and have no one horsey around at all. Most of the time im fine with this and love the freedom to do what i want when i want with no one to answer to. However it can sometimes get a bit lonely not having any likeminded people about.
Occasionly it would be nice to have a ride out with someone, but moreso just have someone there to chat to, ask their opinion, compare notes etc..
So how do you feel about doing it alone?

i don't really see myself as being 'alone'. We keep ours on a private yard, just us. But we'd had horses 10/12 years prior to this move and didn't really need nor want advice from the so called experts on our last livery yard. If i want a second opinion i call on a horsey friend, my RI or i post my query on here :) hacking out, yes, it would be nice to have a companion at times as i will confess i get a wee bit bored hacking out alone.

Yes, me!
My lad is turned away, and there is only myself and the landowner up there, but we are rarely at the field at the same time. I thought I would miss the hustle and bustle of livery yard life a bit more, but the only thing I have really lost is having people around who will look after my boy when I’m away. I’m looking forward to buying or renting a field of my own in the next few years, and to be honest I mostly ride alone anyway, although it should be easy enough to meet up with friends and hack out together.

YES! me, I am all alone, I have a neighbour and a friend who have horses, and another friend, but there not into horses and don't want to learn more, or do much around them.

Oh, I wish I knew someone around here I could ride out with, get to know, and chat with. That's why I (well not quite) live on here :D.

Yes me,
i am actually thinking of taking a couple of liveries on for a bit of company.
i hated all the yard politics when i was on a yard, but now don't feel like riding as much as i gets a bit boring:rolleyes:

Im glad im not the only one then:p I find its the only time i can get to chat to others about my horse on here too.
Dont get me wrong, i wouldnt want to go onto a livery yard and love being on my own most of the time, it would just be nice to have a bit of company SOMETIMES.

I don't like it! :( We bought a house in NI with some land a while ago so have the horses at home. Although it saves time & money I really miss being on a livery yard. I hardly ever used to hack out with other people but I miss having other people around, just to chat to and go to shows with etc. It was always my big dream to have my own land but I get a bit lonely!

The funny thing is I also find I spend less time with them because I don't 'go down the yard' for the whole day. I just go out, spend 20mins mucking out etc and then back in the house.

We are now selling up and moving back to England and the horses will go back to a livery yard. It will cost a bit more but I'm really looking forward to it. :D

I anm on a small diy livery yard but still have no-one to ride with as most of the horses are retired and the one thats not won't hack out down the main road!

Where in Suffolk are you? I now have my own box which I have just got so am looking to take my horse to different places as practice before we start going to shows. I am also sure there are other NR'sfairly close who would be glad of the opportunity to meet up for a hack, a cuppa and a chat.

:)

You are a bit of a distance away and my horsebox only goes at 45 mph flat out so it would take us a while to get there! Are you near any good beaches? as maybe I could kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak as I have always wanted to ride along a beach.

Have you tried posting on the meetup pages as I seem to recall there are a few people in Suffolk?

:)

me!! at my private yard there is well, me and my ponies:D
I would like someone to hack with more often but i also like going out on my own anyway.

Having your own place is a catch 22-
On the one hand - no yard politics, bitchiness or the same expense
but on the other - can be lonely at times, no help when having problems.

I love the fact that I dont neglect my role as a mother and as a wife/partner(I am out at work long enough - would never be home if I had to go to a yard). I can stay in my PJs all morning if I dont feel well or just because I want to. If Tilly doesnt feel herself I can put off riding until her mood subsides, I can just get on with other jobs for an hour. And the money I save I can spend on tack and rugs etc. (psst dont tell hubby ;)).

I wouldnt change my circumstances as it works for me and having NR now is great when I have news to share or problems to solve, but I do feel that when my daughters were young teenagers they would have been better keeping their ponies in a yard as their motivation grew low and constant nagging from me to get their jobs done didnt help. They also missed out on competions (which I was informed recently that they would have loved to enter but didnt know how to go about it - btw of clothes, etiquette and use of arena etc. :().

me:D I love it! Ive only been at the farm with Blue for 2 weeks, and prior to that I was at a livery yard. There are other horses kept at the same farm, but it is big and they are nowhere near me, so yes, im alone! There are other horsey folk at other farms close bythough and close enough that I can meet them to hack out if I want - but Blue goes better on his own:rolleyes:

I had my instructor come to the farm this week, and I hope to make it a regular thing. We made a kind of rough school with some poles and markers. Im alsp joining a riding club and hope to take Blue to groups things there once a week. Would these be options for you?

I graze at a friend's who have a small child with a teeny pony. Gets a bit lonely sometimes i have to admit

Me - on my own yard and loving it, though I do have to rope in mum to help sometimes if I need two pairs of hand which is the only downside but at least my things are where I left them:D

There are a couple of other owners at the farm but I never see them to talk to as we are there at different times. Have a chat once every couple of months at the most. I mostly prefer it, I think the benefits outweigh the bad bits (I couldn't cope with bitchiness and backstabbing at a yard) but it does get lonely at times:)

I have the same problem, I have just got bk into hoses after 5years.I know hav 2 tb ex race horses,which can i say are gorgeous.:D
But i have a field that i rent and i although there are other fields joined no one else seem to be there and wen they are they dnt really do much with there horses.I miss the company of another human its ok talking to the horses but it would be nice to get a reply sometimes.

Im on my own. Just me, my horses and the stable cat and I wouldnt want it anyother way. I love being on my own. I have others in the village with horses but we rarely meet as we ride at different times of the day. Im quite happy with my own company and when I need a horsey gossip, I have NR, my internet livery yard [as OH calls it]

I'm on my own and don't mind it so much. I recently got asked if I wanted help. I don't need the help but thought I'd give it a try. It turns out that it's not just the helper but her hubby and two kids more often than not so can be a bit overbearing. I go straight to the yard after work and I chill out there before going home to OH, but when they are all there it's so noisy and hectic that I sometimes wish they didn't help. On the other hand I'm sometimes grateful for that help as it means that i can get on with the ponies rather than just the chores, so I'm sticking with it for now though. BUT I have had to make sure there are a set of yard rules in place and that they are followed, for everyones safety. And when they are not there I enjoy the peace even more!! :)

Me!! I'm on my own, well not quite as DH and DD1 and DD2 are around too. But it is only our herd on our yard.

I prefer it, I've had liveries before, but I really can do without the hassle, so I got some more horses of my own ;)

I think my daughters would be more interested in riding more if there were other people there though, but definitely prefer being on our own.

newrider.com