Anyone else shocked by modern pentathalon!!

amberleystar

May 19, 2005
Guildford, Surrey
I have just been watching the olympic coverage of the show jumping in the modern pentathalon. To say I am shocked at the standard of horsemanship is an understatement!! The amount of mouth pulling and whipping is appalling, and the crowd just laugh!

From what I can gather, there are not enough horses for riders as the riders don't bring their own horses. They are drawn as to who will ride which horse and most of the horses do at least 2 - 3 rounds. Well the Korean rider beat his horse up so much in the mouth and with the whip that when that horse came out again 10 mins later with another rider he wasn't having any or it, and who came blame him! If this is how they treat the horse in front of the crowds and cameras, god knows what happens behind the scenes!!

For most modern pentathalon athletes the riding is their weakness from what I've heard in interviews, will watch the highlights tonight I hope!

Totally agree with you Shandy. Noticed horses getting a lot of praise after SJ team final and in Dressage indiv. with the exception of some aussie riders.

Still watching... the french rider's horse took a nasty fall trapping the rider - his face now covered in blood! The US rider was much better and had much better hands, but some of the riders are hanging off the mouth so much that it is no wonder the horses refuse. It sure is a weak element for these athletes, still don't think it fair on the horses however.

Ooo! the commentator has now just said that we have seen some bad horsemanship!!!

i turned on a few minutes ago just in time for a man riding "hoho" (?) and omg poor horse :( he was drenched in sweat with the man constantly pulling him in the mouth and the horse looked in pain and scared :( all the whites of his eyes were showing :(
wish i hadnt turned on now, it made me cry!

I saw Hoho too, the horse looked terrified. I was shouting at the tv for the rider to retire. You could tell that the horse wasn't going to make the jumps.

However I've never had to SJ a horse I've only had 20 minutes to practice on, and hope I never have to :)

Just watching the SJ individuals now. Shocked about horses testing positive :(

newrider.com