Anyone else not feeling christmassy at all?

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
Question in the title really, I just can't get into 'Christmas mode' at all, am feeling really fed up, tearful and sick of it all today, I haven't even put my tree up yet and now I'm thinking what's the point. Bah humbug!

clare123

Mar 10, 2004
at the yard
Visit site
I'm with you! Mum had a knee replacement three weeks ago so been nursing her, working, dog walking, looking after horse. About ready to collapse and need to do all my housework before in laws arrive on Xmas eve. Need a miracle lol.

Rubic

Equine Karaoke Queen
Apr 15, 2012
Glasgow
I'm quite up and down to be honest. One minute I'm feeling quite festive and happy and then later I'm in a "bah humbug" mood! I think it is down to me being in work until tuesday and having had a kind of rubbish year. Can't wait to see the back of it!!!

Calluna

Oct 14, 2010
Leicestershire
I've tried to reply to this several times and not posted because I sounded so grumpy! I don't know if I'm overwhelmed or underwhelmed, but definitely not feeling the magic!

Flipo's Mum

Heavy owner of a Heavy
Aug 17, 2009
Perthshire, Scotland
I was looking forward to it because of all the hard work with exams - I couldn't get excited until after they were done on the 11th dec. No sooner than I was out the exams, my mum called to tell me that they weren't doing Christmas this year and I could come round if I wanted but they weren't doing presents or anything. It just reminds me all too acutely, of how single I am, as that pretty much means I can't do Christmas either. My sister is celebrating as she has a family and yes I could go there but I have been far too absent from Flipo this year and don't want to rely on fieldmate anymore to feed so that I can go visiting, so I'm at home and I'd love to get all excited but what's the point. I'll get two presents this year, one from my sister and one from NR Secret Santa. I need a man lol (although I all I need a man for is one day a year, I probably don't need one all that much hehe!)

Ale

Feb 8, 2012
I'm not looking forward to it but I should be! I don't really have anything to complain about compared to some people. Christmas day is my first day off since September so that will be nice!

But I've suddenly got a cold and my pony has gone lame and all my parents are doing is arguing constantly and I havent even done anything christmassy this year with my bf for some reason so I just can't get into the mood for it

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I feel less Christmassy than normal and OH were saying we think it's because we've not heard much Christmas music coupled with it not being very cold and dry, tho we ought to be used to that! It rarely does the white Christmas thing here...
I must put the radio on more over the next few days!!
Sorry to hear you are feeling fed up Kite Rider.

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I was looking forward to it because of all the hard work with exams - I couldn't get excited until after they were done on the 11th dec. No sooner than I was out the exams, my mum called to tell me that they weren't doing Christmas this year and I could come round if I wanted but they weren't doing presents or anything. It just reminds me all too acutely, of how single I am, as that pretty much means I can't do Christmas either. My sister is celebrating as she has a family and yes I could go there but I have been far too absent from Flipo this year and don't want to rely on fieldmate anymore to feed so that I can go visiting, so I'm at home and I'd love to get all excited but what's the point. I'll get two presents this year, one from my sister and one from NR Secret Santa. I need a man lol (although I all I need a man for is one day a year, I probably don't need one all that much hehe!)

You don't need a man - you have Flipo!!!! Celebrate with him and knickers to other folk. Arm yourself with a flask of hot choccy and spend some time with Flipo (whether he likes it or not dig out some antlers!!).
Buy yourself something nice - I think I would if I was single.

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
I was all xmassy had the tree up, room decorated, cakes made, even a panetone, then dad landed in hospital so they aren't coming. I cancelled most of the food I had ordered from the butcher as don't need it, and have no idea what we are doing on xmas day, whether we are at home, visiting hospital, visiting them in their own house

we went up yesterday, it is 100 miles, 2 hours each way, got caught in hailstones, then snow on the way back. not fun.

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I was all xmassy had the tree up, room decorated, cakes made, even a panetone, then dad landed in hospital so they aren't coming. I cancelled most of the food I had ordered from the butcher as don't need it, and have no idea what we are doing on xmas day, whether we are at home, visiting hospital, visiting them in their own house

we went up yesterday, it is 100 miles, 2 hours each way, got caught in hailstones, then snow on the way back. not fun.

That's exhausting do hope you are going to be able to take time for yourself away from your work over Christmas? Healing vibes for your Dad too.

Gimp

Gimpy Gimp Gimp
Jan 19, 2005

Best wishes to your dad, I hope hes ok :)

joosie

lifelong sufferer of restless brain syndrome
Oct 28, 2004
New Zealand
Yeah I'm not really bothered to be honest, I don't really get swept up in the whole Christmas thing. It's for Christians and families with kids as far as I'm concerned! I do enjoy the social aspect of Christmas gatherings though, and the food of course :happy: But my boss's family are well and truly in the Christmas spirit, which is nice to see, they aren't all together very often as her brother lives in England and her dad works in the Middle East, and this is ne of the few times of year that they get to be all together. Until 3 days ago her dad was stuck in Gaza because of the flooding and they weren't sure he'd make it home on time, which would have been awful for them. I've said I'll do the yard on the 24th/25th/26th and on NYE and NYD so that my boss can have a few days off, I know she will appreciate them!

Mouse is a bit more in the spirit though :giggle:

Last edited:

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
Never felt less Christmassy TBH! Hopefully a few glugs of the Harveys Bristol as I cook the turkey might get me to rally around! No presents for any of us, we are all broke for various reasons and it has been a shite year one way or the other so we can't wait to see the back of it!:redcarded:

Joosie I hope you boss appreciates you (I am sure she does) what a very kind and generous employee you are!:smile:

joosie

lifelong sufferer of restless brain syndrome
Oct 28, 2004
New Zealand
Well with a job like this you get out what you put in! Landed on my feet with this family and they do a lot for me so it's nice to get to return the favour sometimes!

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Mouse looks gorgeous!!!!!! And as everybody says, I am sure your boss appreciates you, what a good thing you have offered to do by working.

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
Xmas tree is up in our house but tbh I see xmas as another day this year. Since I work nights and I am working all 3 nights sadly it will just be another night at work for me.

TBminx

Mar 22, 2013
I never do til off work but this year really not at all cos family illness and all the upset etc. Its hard if things arent good to feel the festive spirit and everyone else is going on about it and how want it to snow and shopping all done :banghead:

I think our yard party tomorrow with mulled wine etc will be a nice wee lift though.

I miss the xmas eve feeling I had at home as a kid when xmas music playing, presents under the tree, eating mince pies etc :wink: