Anyone else in the south not got any grass?

Peanut

Aug 1, 2005
Despite the wet winter and current warm weather, our field has hardly any grass and is dry and cracked. I'm sure it wasn't this bad last year even after a dry winter. The horses are still getting through mountains of hay and if it continues like this we'll be in serious trouble. :eek:

Can anyone boast lush new grass?

I wouldnt say ours is lush, but there is enough to go around that we dont need to feed hay.

I think we need some rain(dont want it really but to help the grass!!)

our fields are looking a bit sad too - more hay been ordered. I am fairly pleased tho because i can manage my fat cobs feeding for a little while longer yet!!;) :D

We split our fields in half over winter, and have just re-opened them up for summer grazing, so yes, we're lucky and have lots of lush grass (although slightly worried about lami!) the front half of the field though which was used in winter is a state, hardly any grass at all and very dry, luckily we managed to get it rolled when it was wetter so it's not quite as rutty as it could have been!

Our filds are dry too, have dust storms in front of the house where the horses have left large bare patches after the winter, reseeded them 2 weeks ago and they are still sitting there - although the pidgeons have eaten most, have put the garden sprinkler out on the worst of it to try and germinate them!!!!!! Our fertiliser was done at the same time and still hasn't dissolved much! I have never known a drought in April before, or it being this hot, and it's supposed to continue!!:eek: I think I'll be doing a rain dance before long!!!:p :D

Still needing to feed additional hay here in Hampshire. We have gone from be a clay sodden nighmare to a cracked and barren wasteland in a matter of a couple of weeks :eek:

herts/bucks boarder where i am its suddenly gone very dry, hardly any grass coming through, lots of dry mud patches but does look a little greener, yard owner will be fertilizing soon as fields overgrazed anyway:rolleyes:

The fields are getting really bad, all dry and cracked, even the ones that were rested over the winter. Still in 2 weeks time we will have grass!!!as we are moving yards due to the farm being sold.

We have a little grass too. Growth is definately slow (in Herts):(.

Was moaning about the non-stop rain a few weeks ago. Now we've got the opposite:rolleyes:

Whats going on:confused:

Where I keep Falcon has a lot of grass but that's only because half the farm is rested during the winter. They've almost finished all the grass in their winter fields now - but they have hay.​

Despite the summer grazing being rested all winter, we are getting low on grass already, and the horses have only been out on it for three weeks!

We've had no rain at all for about three weeks, so the grass is just not growing... the winter field has been harrowed and rolled and should be sprouting new grass by now, but it's looking just as barren as it was when they came off it.

The ground is so hard that we are already stopping cantering in the schooling field as the horses are showing signs of concussion already.

Like others have said, we've gone from six inches of mud to six inch 'drought cracks' in less than a month. I never thought I'd pray for rain in April, but I am now!:eek:

We are the same[Northamptonshire] Up to our knees in mud not that long ago and now cracks and rutty. The grass we have isnt too bad and we dont need to feed hay anymore but I wouldnt go as far as to say it was growing. Havent cantered out hacking for a week or so now as ground is way to hard.
And Yes Peanut Ive heard of a heatwave too 24* on Sunday.

Our horses are still in the winter paddock which has gone from six inch deep mud to barron desert in the space of a month!!

The summer pasture is looking lush - terrified that Logic will come down with colic once she's allowed near the green stuff!

Same here - barren desert, yay! My fatties won't get any fatter for a while yet!

I must be the only one pleased about it, in fact the only thing that's annoying me is that it is too hard to jump in my nice dry field :(

newrider.com