Anyone else do this?

Star the Fell

Jun 14, 2015
I was walking from home to stables tonight. I had just crossed the track upto a farm when I heard someone shout my name. I turned and there was a lady in a car waving at me. She was too far away for me to make out who it was and I didn't recognise the car, but I waved anyway :rolleyes:

I carried on walking and three vehicles were coming onwards me ( this counts as rush hour here I live)
The first was driven by Peter the farmer, who beeped and waved.......I waved back
The second was driven by. Linda who waved at me........I waved back
The third (white van) was driven by a young (fit!) man who beeped and waved at me.......I had no idea who it was, but waved back!!!
I suppose it could have been someone who knew me from work as I deal with a lot of builders..........more likely it was someone who thought I was the village idiot who would wave at every Tom, Dick or Harry.:D

I have waved at total strangers thinking they were someone I knew ( but who must have got a new car as weren't driving their normal one. Duh!).

Equally I can manage to not see people I definitely do know until they're past me and cannot see my belated mad waving.

@newforest Yeah I think it is the norm here too, us northern ireland peeps are a friendly bunch..as individuals. I think when tourists come over they are pleasantly surprised , because of our past history i think they don't expect us to be as friendly lol :p:D

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
If you smile at a stranger they tend to smile back.
Try it.
You can add on morning etc.

We have guests staying it's definitely normal to chat to people I won't see again.

Though I confess, the cobs' hat is a conversation starter ;)

newrider.com