Anybody have a barefoot Cleveland Bay?

Brodies_Girl

Aug 23, 2007
Scotland
Just wondered if anyone else on here has a Cleveland Bay or Cleveland Bay X who is barefoot and if so how they are finding it?

I know every horse is different and you can't generalise because of breeding but as I said...just wondering...

My friend (who used to be a member on here) took her Cleveland x barefoot when she started being on and off lame in shoes. She eventually did quite well and it certainly helped the condition of her feet. However about 18 months ago she started struggling with various physical and metabolic issues and wasn't nearly as sound and happy on her feet any more. Re shoeing her worked wonders and got her back fully sound and in work. She's had them off for the winter and been OK but they'll be going back on again soon.

Thanks for your reply Yann.

I just don't know what to do with my boy...

He's footy when barefoot on gravel (we have very rocky hacking) but he doesn't seem happy having front shoes on either! He's started tripping and is still pretty footy after about an hours ride.

I would prefer him barefoot as he isn't getting any younger and I'd like his joints to have the best chance of staying healthy... think boots may be the way to go but with very round feet measuring about 15.5cm across it probably isn't going to be an easy task!

You're in a real cleft stick there if you can't find suitable boots. It is possible to get custom made ones, do a search on Hoof Wings, they're not cheap but they do perform very well by all accounts.

Other than that are you feeding a barefoot type diet? Is there any thrush present in his frogs? Sometimes there can be metabolic stuff going on, it was certainly the case with my friend's horse, but I think she ascribed it to the quarter horse in her as they're known for it.

He just gets a handful of Hf-fi (lite in the better months, original in the poorer months) with a vit and min supplement and plenty of hay, he doesn't really need feeding I just give it to him to get the supplement in.

No thrush or other infection present, though I've noticed his heels have contracted already, in about 7 weeks that he's had the shoes on....can it happen that fast??

Have barefoot trimmer coming out on friday to set him up and we'll measure him up for boots then, shes bringing the fitkit for gloves but doubt they'll fit, mind you its hard to measure his feet when he has shoes on and they are due a trim so you never know.

newrider.com