Any welsh people here?

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
My friend has just come back from a short break in Carmarthenshire in Wales and brought me a tea towel with a dragon on:D Anyhoo it sounded fab. Just wondering if anyone on here knows Wales at all? What is it like in the South? Horse opportunities? Just being nosey really. Had a quick google and it looks very pretty in places.

I come from Barry, so about 1.5 hours from Carmarthen. Where we lived I would describe as pretty crap for the horsey world! Or more like I am just spoilt where I live now!

Worked in Carmarthen for quite a while, went on school and uni trips to the coast down there, it is really beautiful, can't really remember any specifics but would recommend the area for a holiday!

I come from Barry, so about 1.5 hours from Carmarthen. Where we lived I would describe as pretty crap for the horsey world! Or more like I am just spoilt where I live now!

Worked in Carmarthen for quite a while, went on school and uni trips to the coast down there, it is really beautiful, can't really remember any specifics but would recommend the area for a holiday!

I've just been noseying and there looks to be some gorgeous properties with stables and land. But is it just not very good for riding schools / livery yards?

I love south west Wales, Pembrokeshire coast and moorland is where I spent every school holiday as a child and I would go live down there in a heartbeat if I could afford not to have to work. Some lovely coast and countryside and many many happy memories.

I went to uni in Cardiff. South Wales is beautiful, I really fell in love with the place - especially the coast. Not so much near Cardiff but as you go along towards the Gower Peninsula. It's lovely up in the hills too, as you go into the old mining areas the towns are a bit grotty but the countryside is really beautiful. And the Brecon Beacons aren't a long drive either.

I've just been noseying and there looks to be some gorgeous properties with stables and land. But is it just not very good for riding schools / livery yards?

ummm not where we kept our horses, just outside Cardiff. The bridleways were all closed and hacking was pretty much roadwork or on the farm where we kept the horses. Farmers were mainly into livestock so fields were kept closed. Also there are very very little amount of things to go to with the horses (in my opinion!), only really competitions, whereas here we have endless fun rides and venues to hire and comps etc etc.....though I'm sure if you move more rural down towards South West Wales theres probably more riding areas.

you can get alot for you money in some parts of wales

Tell me about it! lol Some of the houses looked amazing. Nice countryside views etc. Around here you'd pay double for some of them. Wonder what the drawback is?!
Some of them state that they are very remote - that certainly wouldn't bother us.

I expect the drawbacks for the average Jo Bloggs is the remoteness, lack of 'city employment' and transport links all contribute to the price. Of course if your self employed/work from home and like being remote you can take full advantage of that hehe !

Reactions: Trewsers
I expect the drawbacks for the average Jo Bloggs is the remoteness, lack of 'city employment' and transport links all contribute to the price. Of course if your self employed/work from home and like being remote you can take full advantage of that hehe !
Yup that's exactly what stops me from moving down there, the fact that both myself and OH have to work but both of us have jobs that we couldn't do from home. You get loads for your money, check out 'smallholdings wales' I think it's called, I often look on there and wish. The remoteness is what appeals but someone has to pay the bills.

OH is on his way to somewhere near the sea in Gwynned for a fishing trip. He's just rung me to tell me it's beautiful and he's just driven past someone hacking a Welsh pony. Seen lots of huge birds too, which I presume are Red Kites. I'm definitely going next time!! (not fishing though!)

Reactions: Trewsers
This thread is making me reminisce now, I remember spending the whole day once on the moors watching the mountain ponies and finding an adder basking on top of one of the walls, I also remember lots of Buzzards but very few red kites in fact the only time we saw one was on the way home one day coming back through Devils Bridge, it was just sitting on top of a fence post large as life and my dad pulled over so we could just look at it for a while.
We also used to fish for trout in the stream just down the lane from where we stayed, my brothers and I used to sit under the bridge and try to 'tickle' them lol till my dad showed us how to catch them properly ;)
Oh gosh I also remember the old boy my dad was friends with, lovely old man, Will Bach who had a cottage next to the moors he was ancient but used to have such a love of his home and his accent was wonderful, he showed us a harvest mouse nest one day complete with tiny tiny baby mice. His little cottage was so cosy, full of welsh blankets and wooden things, and he always had a pot of tea on the Aga and some fresh bread and butter as a treat for us kids.
Last time I went back down there I cried when I saw Will Bach's cottage, just because it had been such a long time since I'd been and I knew old Will wasn't there any more and it just felt like I was going home, what a sad sentimental old bird I am. Sorry for the ramblings.

Reactions: Gimp and Trewsers
This thread is making me reminisce now, I remember spending the whole day once on the moors watching the mountain ponies and finding an adder basking on top of one of the walls, I also remember lots of Buzzards but very few red kites in fact the only time we saw one was on the way home one day coming back through Devils Bridge, it was just sitting on top of a fence post large as life and my dad pulled over so we could just look at it for a while.
We also used to fish for trout in the stream just down the lane from where we stayed, my brothers and I used to sit under the bridge and try to 'tickle' them lol till my dad showed us how to catch them properly ;)
Oh gosh I also remember the old boy my dad was friends with, lovely old man, Will Bach who had a cottage next to the moors he was ancient but used to have such a love of his home and his accent was wonderful, he showed us a harvest mouse nest one day complete with tiny tiny baby mice. His little cottage was so cosy, full of welsh blankets and wooden things, and he always had a pot of tea on the Aga and some fresh bread and butter as a treat for us kids.
Last time I went back down there I cried when I saw Will Bach's cottage, just because it had been such a long time since I'd been and I knew old Will wasn't there any more and it just felt like I was going home, what a sad sentimental old bird I am. Sorry for the ramblings.

Aw you are not sad! Lovely to read about actually. I sometimes think I'm the only person who remembers stuff and cares - I sometimes ramble on to Mr T!

newrider.com