Any ride a Welsh sec C?

Uly

Oct 18, 2005
Berkshire
Sorry that should read "Does anyone ride a Welsh sec C"
Just seen a large sec C x for sale and am very tempted. He is rising 4, 14.1 and still growing but am wondering if he could take my weight happily. I'm 5' 5" and 10 and a half stone.
I think he should be ok, looks fairly stocky type and I would have some time to lose weight before I backed him :)o ) but would appreciate any advice anyone could offer.
Thanks. :)

Last edited:
I don't ride a welsh cob section C but ride a welsh cob D so very simalar :D i'm 5"8 and weigh around your weight i seem alright on mine not to heavy or tall. Welsh cobs/cobs are used for heavy and light riders so i think you would be ok espically if he is still growing and stocky this is mine.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c127/crimdon/Amba/DSCI0034.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c127/crimdon/DSCI0054.jpg sorry about the belly :eek: shes quite fat she hasnt been rode properly for the last two months

if he's 14.1hh then surely he should be a section d?? not sure though. i used to ride a 12.3hh section c pony and this older lady used to ride her aswell, she never struggled at all.

Kirstie - Amba is definitely looking gorgeous, chorus of 'aaarrrrrrrrrr' from daughter and I when we saw photos.

iloveshearer - he's an appy cross, I think he got his height from his dad.

Thanks for help, I think I'm going to go have a look. How exciting. :D

I also thought that this pony must be a D. I used to have a Welsh C and he was only 12.2. I understood it that they only went up to 13-13.2hh?

I should imagine he would easily carry your weight though at that height. My pony is 13.2 new forest and I am 9st, he can buck easily with me on his back and does it frequently to prove his point :D

Don't forget that she said welsh c CROSS so height restrictions are irrelevant.

I would have thought the pony could carry your weight easily :)

any ride a welsh sec C

I,ve got a sec C and he's 13.2 well a smidge under! I'm 5'5 and 9 stone 10 and he seems to have no trouble at all and infact years gone by they used to carry men up the mountains to the sheep herds in wales (i think thats right)

Thanks everyone for your replies.
I did go and see him and although he was absolutely gorgeous and had beautiful manners my daughter felt a little intimidated by his strength, so not for us.
We'll keep looking.

Some years back, I owned a Welsh Section C (Sackville Robin). He as a lovely chestnut gelding 13.3hh. Lovely, gentle pony but I lost my job so I sold him to someone that kept him for the rest of his life. Very nice pony, good jumper etc and very intelligent. Bought him from a lady that lived near Bexhill.:p

Many years back, I owned a Section B PB (Bledridge Novella). I bought her at weaning and by 4yo she was 14.2hh and my best friend. I had just backed her when the children came along and I had to let her go. I was really lucky as some lovely people approached me before I had completely decided that she needed a new home and she went off to live in Wales. I would love to know what happened with her but wonder whether ignorance isn't bliss. I still think of her running around in the Welsh hills.

newrider.com