Any one taken own horse on holiday in Scotland?

Lucyad

Mar 30, 2006
Renfrewshire, Scotland
I have been looking on-line at various holidays / accomodation that you can take your horse to, in Scotland. I would love to go somewhere that I could perhaps have some training (schooling / jumping), and also go on off road hacks, possibly culminating in a 2 or 3 day trail ride between different accomodation, with someone to follow with luggage.

Any suggestions?

See I would love to do that!!!!

I would love to do the whole saddle pack trek lol but I wouldnt know where to start!!!

Its a shame that you cant do these sorts of things now!!

I'll help you bump this lol!!!:D

Nikki xxxx

My friend and I spent a week at Ayr Equestrian last spring.

We stayed at a very small hotel about 3 miles from the yard. My friend took her own horse while I used the once from the centre.

We did a mixture of lessons and hacking - it was generally a 1 hour lesson in the morning and then a hack in the afternoon but you do have some flexibility.

We had a fab back to the beach and a couple of gallops along the bridle paths in the country park.

Argyll Trail Riding - I didn't take Jester, but we went on a weekend break there. Lovely horses for trail riding, no idea what lessons are like, but fantastic scenery etc, and they do longer trail rides as well as general hacking.

http://www.brenfield.co.uk/index.htm

I discussed coming back the following year with Jester in tow with them (which was fine), but couldn't afford it.

Ayr Equesterian Centre was awesome. I used to get to go there on hols as a birthday treat. Took Cheyenne one year and it was amazing. I generally had 1 hour flatwork or jumping lesson in the morning and a hack in the afternoon - at least 2 hours. Cheyenne was a tired pony afterwards!

Also used to go down to Gleneagles every couple of months for a jumping lesson. My aunt lived in Auchterarder so we stayed with her (she was a member of Gleneagles) and used all the facilities and I got to ride some lovely horses.

Ayr Equesterian Centre was awesome. I used to get to go there on hols as a birthday treat. Took Cheyenne one year and it was amazing. I generally had 1 hour flatwork or jumping lesson in the morning and a hack in the afternoon - at least 2 hours. Cheyenne was a tired pony afterwards!

Also used to go down to Gleneagles every couple of months for a jumping lesson. My aunt lived in Auchterarder so we stayed with her (she was a member of Gleneagles) and used all the facilities and I got to ride some lovely horses.

How long ago where you at Ayr?

There are some really good instructors there who will REALLY push you in the lessons! Good if you want to do some intensive riding!

I used to go to Ayr Equestrian Centre every Summer, when I was a teenager (in the 80s:rolleyes:) Hacking on the beach and Rozelle Park, even had a midnight beach ride out to Butlins. The stables were in a different site to where they are today but have to say I had some of the best holidays of my life(so far) there.

Lucyad, I think your idea for a holiday sounds superb - if you find anywhere let us know:)

Last edited:
I've been thinking about that and decided the easiest thing would be to find a really good riding school somewhere that allowed holidays, then live in a B&B.

I know that Dalkeith Counrty Park (Edinburgh Equestrian) does holiday livery (cheap too - think it's about £25 a week for grass livery) - I'm thinking of taking Pink and Kalli there for a week during the summer. They've got a couple of outdoor schools, amazing XC and fabulous hacking. I can hire in an istructor if I wanted to too.

I long to take my boy back to Scotland I miss it ever so much and Ace would love it. (He has no choice haha)

Babybear I was there for a week at a time each time, my godmother lives down the road so stayed with her and Cheyenne stayed at the equitation centre. Really fab instructors and lovely horses too. They had a gorgeous 17hh coloured ID called Giles when I was there one year what a honey!

I went to an amazing riding centre years ago when I was about 11 (i think). The whole family used to ride back then (including dad) and we spent almost the whole week of a holiday in Scotland at this stables - Knockandhu Riding Centre I think it was called. They had beautiful hacking through open fields, moorland and forest and I had both showjumping and XC lessons there. Brilliant friendly atmosphere with lovely well schooled horses. One of my favourite riding memories!
Don't even know if they are still going but thought I'd mention it all the same! :eek:

Last edited:
hi Lucy,

im sure the holiday place in new lanark - cant remember the name of it which is terrible considering i bought a horse from them:eek: takes people with their own horses aswell.

Also, a few people at WH went on a holiday with their horses on their own - they planned it themselves using OS maps and the horses stayed grazing outside their cabin at night, sounded like good fun. no RI's though - was just lots of trekking/finding your way around places!!

let me know if you want me to ask them for more details:)

I long to take my boy back to Scotland I miss it ever so much and Ace would love it. (He has no choice haha)

Babybear I was there for a week at a time each time, my godmother lives down the road so stayed with her and Cheyenne stayed at the equitation centre. Really fab instructors and lovely horses too. They had a gorgeous 17hh coloured ID called Giles when I was there one year what a honey!

Not sure if he was there when I was riding there but they did have a gorgeous grey School Master called Hansel and a cob in his late 20's called Chester!

The Lanark centre is about 20 mins from myself. They seem to have upgraded their website and put a few new facilities in place.

Really fancy taking Tyler a holiday, even if it was to Ayr just to get him out and about.

The Ayr Equestrian Centre looks gorgeous!!!!

The Lanark centre is about 20 mins from myself. They seem to have upgraded their website and put a few new facilities in place.

Really fancy taking Tyler a holiday, even if it was to Ayr just to get him out and about.

The Ayr Equestrian Centre looks gorgeous!!!!

It is really nice!!!

When we took my friends horse she was worried that she wouldn't settle - the mare took one look at the massive stable and it was like - "this will do nicely!!"

newrider.com