Any ideas on final height?

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
I borrowed a friend's measuring stick & measured Little Un tonight - he's now 14.1. Any educated ideas on what height he's likely to mature at? He's a rising 4 Sec D who, to me, still looks pretty immature compared to the couple of other D's on the yard that are the same age. I'm not very clued up on how early or late Sec Ds tend to reach their adult height, if he was an ID I'd be expecting him to make a fair bit more at that age but maybe welshies mature sooner?

Roofio I'm starting to think that one day you'll come & steal Jim! You know you don't want something that small, he'd look like a pony next to J & you'd have to keep putting nasty metal things on his toes ;), best leave him with his well trained slave. As I said before though, if you're ever down this way you're welcome to visit - in fact come next week, I'm looking for a crash dummy to get him back into work!!!!!

I keep meaning to get some pics of them both stood up nicely & ask what people think of their conformation. Sadly at the moment Little Un looks more like a mud monster than a pony & Jim hasn't done any meaningful work for a month or more so bears a close resemblance to Mr Blobby :eek:. Not to mention the fact that if I tied Jim up naked in the rain to take photos he would be very very cross with me - he objects to going out in the morning (looked like a bad tempered mule this morning!) & is watching the gate from about 11 hoping that if he looks pathetic enough someone will bring him in out of the wind & rain.

I will plan an NR tour for the next holiday and Jim definitely makes the list!

I wouldn't steal him* cause he wouldn't want to live with us now we're slumming it out 24/7 in a field ;)

*at the minute

Kai has alot of welsh in him. I bought him as a 5 year old ( alougth have known him since young)

He hasnt Gained any height as such, but really filled outwards.

I had to buy a whole new set of rugs this winter. The ones from 12months before wouldnt even buckle together at the front!! :eek:

Thanks Denbenj, LU has definately got a lot of filling out to do but I know that can take a while with Sec Ds. At rising 4 would you expect him to put on much more height? Since you've bought a whole new set of rugs I hope Kai has finished growing - Jim (ID) didn't finish filling out & fully maturing until 8, he made a couple of inches height after 5!!!

Thanks Denbenj, LU has definately got a lot of filling out to do but I know that can take a while with Sec Ds. At rising 4 would you expect him to put on much more height? Since you've bought a whole new set of rugs I hope Kai has finished growing - Jim (ID) didn't finish filling out & fully maturing until 8, he made a couple of inches height after 5!!!

I will pretend I didnt read that last bit lol !!!

At rising 4 he may grow a tad more.. I was always in the thinking cobby types do take longer to mature.. but more or less reach there final height around 4... and carry on growing outwards!

Any suggestions are helpful storminateacup :)

I'm just looking for a bit of reassurance that he'll be big enough that I won't look or feel too big on him. My sensible head says he'll be big enough to carry me & I'll probably look ok on him once he's filled out but I'm used to Jim & compared to him LU still looks too small & delicate. I don't expect him to be a big D, he's more of a pony type, but I didn't expect him to still look this small!

newrider.com