Any horses for sale in Illinois?

Jun 12, 2019
Illinois
Anyone have a horse for sale in Illinois? Cant go above $1000, and cant do stallions, also cant do anything other than hunter/jumper horses, also sometimes known as eventing/pony club/english i’ve heard?? Any horse other than that I’d love to look into! Also would be willing to let you visit anytime as long as given a heads up and ride them occasionally. Any horse with their tack is doubly welcome!!

Sorry if this seems unrealistic or greedy but I am on a very tight budget.

Good luck, hope you find something :)
Thanks! I have found a few horses but the one I was most interested in went to her new home this morning, but the organization agreed to try and help me find another horse from their wide selection to adopt, and I gave them my requirements and told them what I would like and I’m waiting for a reply. Hopefully I can find one! I do have about 3-4 contenders right now too, thankfully.

I lost out on one before I went to look at Hogan - glad I did now, as I wouldn't swap him. The right ones worth waiting for.

You might have more luck advertising in the State you are in.
This is predominantly a uk site, we have a few overseas members.
@horseandgoatmom may know of a few online places to look into, think she is Rhode Island.

Reactions: Huggy
But we're invested in your search now, so you have to keep us posted!!

But we're invested in your search now, so you have to keep us posted!!
Might as well say what i’ve already done too then aha!

First and foremost, i found an old mare almost a few years ago now, by the name of Mocha. She was an ex-school horse trained in both western and English riding, and her name was Mocha. A very pretty dark bay, and although my parents really wanted to buy her for me it was completely unrealistic at the time with my brother about to go off to college. So i gave up.

Now, I have become more determined than ever to make owning a horse a possibility. Between finding good horses for under a thousand USD and negotiating board with a handful of stables, I’m fighting hard to be able to do this.

I found a 3 year old gelding thoroughbred that wasn’t 100% trained about three and a half months ago and fell in love, but apon coming to this thread for advice and being quickly discouraged, for both his safety and mine. After deciding that it was unfair to him I decided to keep looking. I found three horses that i thought were pretty okay, two mares (one 13 and one 14) for $600 each and a formerly abused gelding for $1000. While I liked all three I didn’t really think I’d be too good a match for any of them, and kept looking. I fell in love with a 13hh pony, a mare named Sprocket. I contacted the owner with questions about her, although worried that I’d be too big for her at 5’3” and 110lbs, I found her absolutely adorable and she checked all the boxes. I was bitter-sweetly informed that she has been adopted this morning, and although sad about not being able to even meet her, I’m glad she’s found a loving, hopefully forever home. The person who contacted me to inform me offered to help me find another horse, and asked what I was looking for. While I had a very long list, I decided to spare her the details and gave her a summarized list, as follows:
•Be hunter/jumper (MUST!)
•Older than 5 (older than 7 preferred!)
•Good ground manners!
•Would like to be taller than 14hh, though 15hh-17hh is preferred to be absolutely certain I wont grow too big for them. Also just simply feel more comfortable on bigger horses!
•Mare or gelding- cant do stallions! Gelding is slightly preferable but i’ll do both.
•Preferably don’t kick/buck/bite, not my main concern but would be nice.
•Rearing is most likely a dealbreaker
•Fully trained is a must! I dont have the budget to hire a trainer.
•Any temperament is good, as long as they can be handled with relative ease. (If 10 is yanking and pulling with all your might and 1 is perfect angel, I’d be willing to go up to 6 or 7 on the stubbornness scale!)
•Anything under 1000 is top priority! I might be able to do up to 3k but thats unlikely.

I’ll admit on that last one theres a very very low chance I’d be able to go above 1k, probably only about a 5-10% chance. Still figured that I’d say so, incase they have someone that checked all the boxes, and that I absolutely fell in love with, even more so than I had with Sprocket!

So, thats my story, and I’ll keep you posted!

OH. MY. GOD. I FOUND A STABLE THATS HONESTLY A BIT OF A HIKE (53 min from my house) BUT OFFERS $195 PASTURE BOARD! MY MOM SAID THAT FOR BOARD IT WOULD HAVE TO BE $100, MAYBE $200/MONTH AND THIS MEETS THAT PERIMETER!! THEY’RE ALSO SELLING A 17YO MARE THAT CHECKS ALL MY BOXES SO THAT’D BE ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! SHE’S A LITTLE ON THE SHORT SIDE OF WHAT I’D LIKE AT 15.2HH BUT I COULD STILL RIDE HER COMFORTABLY AND OMG!! I DIDNT THINK THIS WOULD ACTUALLY HAPPEN BUT IT ACTUALLY SEEMS POSSIBLE NOW!!

My current stable:
Pros:
Only 5, 10 mins away
Been going for 6 years for lessons
Awesome lesson program
Holds some of the most gorgeous, well behaved, and sweetest horses ever
I’ve bonded very closely with a 27yo mare by the name of Windy who hates EVERYONE but comes running when I call her, permits me to pet her, and is an angel when I ride. For other people she’s a certified Hell Horse™.
Cons
Understaffed
Expensive board ($585 for stable boarding, no pasture board)
Doesn’t fix broken fences
Wont permit jumping outside of lessons- you’ll get the boot if you do.
Only gives lessons in one discipline- hunter/jumper, also known as english and eventing I think?? Its like the stuff you do in Pony Club in the UK.

New stable
Pros:
Seems to be much nicer
Cheap board ($350/mo stall board, $195/mo pasture board)
No rules against jumping
Versed and gives lessons in many disciplines
Has 1200 acres of trails to ride

Cons:
Would have to leave Windy, which I dont know if i’d be able to do. I love her as if she was my own.
Never been there before- don’t know anyone
Dont know how they treat the horses
Dont know the amenities included in board and would have to reach out to find out

Honestly I've been looking and after becoming more and more overwhelmed I think leasing long-term would be best bc then we dont have to worry about boarding/farrier/vet and dont have to worry about what would happen if we cant afford it anymore.

I found a very nice gelding, he needs some TLC since he has trust issues and needs to learn that work doesn’t hurt but I’d 100% be willing to do that- with the trust issues, I’ve been told that I have an aptitude for befriending even the brattiest and most nervous of horses so I think I’d do well with him. He’s pretty far but honestly he just grabbed my attention and checks almost all the boxes so I think its really wonderful that I found him. I think I’m gonna send the link to my mom, and no response from my home stable about cheaper board yet. Fingers crossed!

Heres the sweet boy:

Just looking at his pictures you can see that he has a kind soul. It would be absolutely phenomenal to be able to get him.

Don't set your heart or go to see him until you've definitely sorted where to keep him, and if you can truly afford it. Wouldn't be fair on you or him.

Okay, thanks for the advice. I’ve been scrounging for stables near me with cheaper board but a lot of them i’ve reached out to about pricing and never got a response from, annoyingly enough.

Wow! I already got a response from his owners asking to set up a time to call and chat and I responded that I was gonna wait for a reply from my stable before we set up a time to call to be sure I’d have a place to keep him.

I’m proud of myself, a few months ago I would have immediately jumped in and said “we can call now if you’d like!” with no regard for the fact that if all goes well I would have nowhere to keep him without a response from the stables, and without any regard to informing my parents even sort of whats going on.

He’s kinda far, 5 hours and 35 minutes but I’m sure if my parents agreed to it we’d be able to, my mom really wants to get me a horse because she realizes how much even just my lesson helps my depression and anxiety. My dad would like to but he’s really skeptical of whether it’s even a good idea and seems to think that somehow HE’D be responsible for care, when in reality the stables would be in charge of feed, water, and possibly mucking out while I would be responsible for everything else. My dad always thinks that anything that anyone gets is somehow going to end up being his responsibility even when it almost never does. Getting off topic here.

I do think Dylan’s really pretty too, his white speckles are so pretty! I’ve also never seen a horse with just a small few white spots before, its very unique.

Before you do anything please make sure that your Mum and Dad are 100 percent on board with this, given that you are just 12 years old and that any horse you buy could be their responsibility for quite some time, they need to be financially prepared for the long term running costs, which potentially could be thousands of dollars.
For what it's worth, I was desperate for a pony if my own at your age, but it is a huge commitment for your parents to take on.

Reactions: Huggy and carthorse
newrider.com