Any G/pig Experts?

happyhacker101

Mar 19, 2007
scotland
My sons gpig had an op on his teeth last wednesday - the ones at the back had grown over.

He came home from vets and was picking at his food - peeing and pooing. Over the weekend he has decided to stop eating! I have been to the pet shop and bought every single treat that I could find to try and tempt him - nope. Phoned vet and got hubby to collect some Supreme Science Recovery liquid feed that the vet rec'd

Anything else that I can do? Vet says that there is no reason that she can think of for him not to be eating, dont really want to take him back to vets as its a 40 mile round trip and stresses him out.

Thanks - any help much appreciated:D

Is there any swelling that isnt obvious or has he had any slight bleeding.

It maybe that he has a dull ache from the op. I used to give mine soft food if they were a bit on the sickly side.

How is he otherwise? Lost any weight etc?

I am not unfortunately a guinea pig expert, just trying to think what we used to do for ours when they were a bit down,

Jen
x

He must be feeling quite sore still, how about fresh food like apple or lettuce? Guineas can go down hill quite quickly when they are feeling under the weather, one of mine had to have a vitamin c injection which gave him a great boost when for some reason he was acting quite down and picking at food. I would try soft food - maybe the teeth problems caused mouth ulcers which puts anyone off of eating, is he drinking and pee'ing still?

I hope he picks up soon.

Oh bless, hope he recovers soon.
Don't know if its any use to try but I used to feed my hamster cottage cheese, totally loved licking it off my finger. Might be worth a try if nothing else is tempting him (soft food like xJenniferx suggested).

Thanks for the ideas - much appreciated:D Poor old Leo is not peeing or pooing and wont touch soft foor either, am totally at a loss as to what to try next, the spoon feeding of the stuff the vet gave me to try is sort of going in;) not the easiest thing to do though:eek: and I'm wearing most of it now!!

-Adding a couple of drops of orange juice to water can make it more palatable (got this iff the internet - dont know how helpful this is)

-Grated carrot (perhaps a bit easier to eat than carrot sticks

--Grated apple

--Mashing down food with a bi of warm water

That, I am afraid is my (un)grand contribution to it :(

Hope he picks up soon. Let me know.

Jen
x

do you have a wee syringe you could use instead of a spoon? I found this best when our rabbit was seriously ill, also have i have given our pigs medicines in the past

Do you have any redi grass at the yard? our pigs loved it

I have heard they can be tempted by some baby foods

My best advice for when rabbit was ill was a rabbit forum, maybe look up a g/p forum they could have a wealth of knowledge to help?
When i used a rabbit forum, they suggested two medicines that i ran past my vet and he gave us to try, they were life saving!! my vet wanted to pts before that:eek:

He maybe stressed GP can go into shutdown. I may help to put him in his familiar surroundings with some food and don't disturb him for a while with plent of bedding to hide in. How old is he and does he have company.

He maybe stressed GP can go into shutdown. I may help to put him in his familiar surroundings with some food and don't disturb him for a while with plent of bedding to hide in. How old is he and does he have company.

No, he's an only pig - the others have all died and wasn't sure about introducing a new boy to him - maybe I should have?? He lives in the u/room so nice and warm, has plenty of bedding and a house to go into. I resorted to using a spoon as the syringe the vet gave us was useless!, he is very quiet so maybe he is very stressed?

Last edited:
Is he all puffed up and listless or acting normal. You would be better off with an eye dropper and just a few drops at time. Best thing is to leave him quiet and seehow he gos, good luck with the little chap. he won't be too happy with a new boy so best on his own.

Last edited:
After what Nookster had said about readigrass - I went and picked some fresh grass for him and he has nibbled a bit - just a tiny wee bit but thats better than nothing!

He's all puffed up sitting in the corner of his cage, he did "rumble" at the grass when I put it in:D

Last edited:
Thats a promising sign., :) bit worried about him being puffed up try to get some fluids into him a few drops every couple of hours may help and keep offering the fresh greens.

Unfortunately, poor Leo died yesterday - he did perk up and started eating, peeing and pooing and then he started breathing really quickly and basically just turned and faced the wall and that was that. I think the stress of the op didnt do him any favours ..... RIP Leo.

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that HappyHacker :( RIP Leo. One of my hamsters had a big problem with teeth overgrowing, to the point where I was paying £15 to get them clipped every two weeks and then one day I found her dead in her cage with blood in her eyes and her teeth were massive and I think the roots had started growing upwards, this was only a couple of days after I'd had them done, I was distraught! I think it was best to have the op done because otherwise he could have come to the same ending as my hammy, unfortunately operations on small animals are always a risk :( at least this way he died without any pain.

I see where you're coming from, but I think in hindsight - it may have been kinder to have pts in the first place rather than trying the op, but went with what the vet suggested rather than my gut feeling which was pts. I do think small animals struggle with being up under for ops.

newrider.com