Any fish/pond experts on here?

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
Think my lovely 10 year old fishes might be dead?:cry: Cant see them though cos the ice is so cloudy and thick. Managed to keep an opening in the ice every day until yesterday - and when we had a slight thaw about 10 days ago they all came up - didnt want food but definitely wanted a breath of air poor things.

Day before yesterday was the last time they had a breathing hole - tis just too thick now to break through - have managed a little incey 6 inch hole just now - but is this enough to give them oxygen? I suspect not TBH?:frown:

So sad - we have a HUGE koi, some even huger orfe and loads of goldfish that have bred over the years - they were all tiddlers when we made the pond - do you think they might be dead under there?:unsure:

If they were dead, they'd be floating under the ice.. have you tried using a hammer to break the ice, or an pick axe?

have you tried using a hammer to break the ice, or an pick axe?
- NEVER use a hammer/axe to break the ice, this can cause shock waves in the water and kill the fish.:redcarded:

The fish are pobably hanging out at the bottom of the pond. A lot depends on the depth of pond I think.

Moving water helps to stop it freezing up or at least freezing so hard. I am not sure however, how well a domestic pond pump would work is such cold weather.:cold:

Hope it's all okay and the fish survive.

I have a standard pond pump in my above ground pond and it's doing a really good job of keeping some of the water un-frozen. Although I have been pouring some warm water over the ice to give them a bigger breathing gap

The waterfall from the pump froze solid two weeks ago - looked very pretty but burnt the motor out! I know you shouldnt bash the ice because of the shock waves - but doing it with a hot pan of water became useless more than a week ago - so have been hammering at it!:redface:

Even tried using a hacksaw to saw through it - but couldnt make a hole big enough to get the saw in if you know what I mean? Cant see any little bits of gold floating about below the ice - but is about 6 inches thick and cloudy so not sure!:cry: Poor little (or not so little as it happens!) fishes.

Forgot to say - the pond is about 3 feet deep in the middle - do you think they might be snuggled up at the bottom???

This might sound silly but have you tried a cordless drill ? If they'll drill masonry wouldn't they drill through ice :unsure: ?

This might sound silly but have you tried a cordless drill ? If they'll drill masonry wouldn't they drill through ice :unsure: ?

Actually that sounds quite a good idea - could drill a lot of holes in a circle and then maybe be able to get the inner circle out? Will try that - but have to charge the cordless - thankyou tubby - will let you know if it works?:smoke:

Forgot to say - the pond is about 3 feet deep in the middle - do you think they might be snuggled up at the bottom???

Our pond is around 7 foot deep and is thick with ice.

Have never broken the ice for them and I have koi and other fish and they seem to get through each winter ok.

I guess they snuggle all warm at the bottom.

I found this http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4886389_fish-survive-pond-freezes.html

and this ....

Fish do not rise to the surface and take in air. Fish take in dissolved oxygen that is in the water. Dolphins and whales do take in air from the surface.
Ice does not create an air-tights seal, nor does it halt photosynthesis. Oxygen is still created under Ice by photosynthesis, and decomposition of organic matter on the lake bottom. Dissolved oxygen is also brought in by streams and rivers that flow into and out of the body of water.

Hope this helps you stop worrying.

We always switch off our pump in winter on the basis that the deepest bit of the pond remains the warmest and that of we mix up the water than the deepest bit of the pond will be colder than if we didn't have the pump on. Mind you we only have bog standard fish and nothing fancy. They breed like mad too so something must be going ok for them.

Thanks for that Claire1605 - just read it all and sounds a bit more reassuring - still not sure if ours would be large and deep enough though for survival.:unsure:

Ours isnt a fancy one either Joyscarer - just bought a load of cheap goldfish and orfe when we did it and a koi somehow got in the plastic bag with 'em!!! And like yours, they have bred like mad over the years and had to give loads away - just think this very severe winter we are getting over here might be a step too far for them all - I know it is for me!:giggle:

I mean - 6 inches of ice in Ireland!!!! When I was a child over here it very rarely even froze - horses had grass right through the winter in the good old days!

newrider.com