Any feeds/supplements too help horse put on a bit of weight?

M

*MoneyTalks*

Hiya,
basicly i cant have anything malasisie, nothing too heat him up or make him go hyper basicly, and also no speedi-beet (he rears on that)
atm he is having,
3/4 scoop of chaff
1/2 of conditioning cubes
joint supplement,
mint
garlic
general perpouse supplement,
and the accational bucket of redii grass

anything else that has worked for you
?
thankss

When Arion lost a bit of weight all I did was put him on conditioning cubes and increase his 1 scoop of Barley to include an extra half scoop and he was back to normal inside of two weeks. Barley is non heating and is part of the diet of all the horses on our yard

he is on conditioning cubes, and i cant put him on that because maks him go hyper :(

Change the chaff to Alfa Oil (chaff has very few calories, it's purpose is to add bulk).

Increase the quantity of conditioning cubes. What's the recommended amount for his ideal weight? You should be looking to gradually increase to that amount. Half a scoop is very little unless you're feeding a small pony.

If you increase the cubes then you shouldn't need the general purpose supplement, even of you don't feed the full amount you should be able to feed a half dose of supplement.

Feeding occassional buckets of things isn't a good idea as it could upset his digestion. Either feed a bucket of Readigrass every night or get rid of it. It's a useful fibre feed though so if he was mine I'd be looking to feed it each day.

If he hasn't already got ad-lib hay then make sure he has.

yeah lol,
and he has the general perpouse supplement due to the amount of mix, if i give him anymore mix he will go skitts

to be honest with you, if he is going to be back on turn out I would not be trying to put extra weight on at this time of year, the spring grass will take care of that.
he has prob'just dropped a bit due to the stress of moving.

yeah lol,
and he has the general perpouse supplement due to the amount of mix, if i give him anymore mix he will go skitts

Mix? In your first post you said he was on cubes, not mix. Which is it? If he's on mix then put him on cubes as they tend to be less molassed.

To be honest what your feeding him is very little & if he needs to put weight on you're going to have to increase it. If he genuinely gets too hyper on more than this then you need to speak to a few feed company helplines to get advice from proper nutritionists & also try to work out what exactly causes him problems. One of mine is better on a cereal free diet & I have to watch sugarbeet too but by being careful with his diet & management I keep him looking good - it just takes a little care & reading labels. If he isn't dangerously hyper then maybe you just need to learn how to cope with him when he's feeling bright.

Well in that case you need to identify what it is that causes the problem & create a diet that excludes those items. I'd start by excluding cereals so read what's on the bag of your cubes because lots have cereals in them but some don't so by being careful you can easily do a cereal free diet.

Get some professional advice on his diet, it's easy you just phone some helplines. Try these
http://www.topspec.com/nutritional.htm
http://www.dengie.com/pages/feed-advice.php
http://www.simplesystem.co.uk/contact/contact.asp
http://www.saracen-horse-feeds.co.uk/contact/

Pink Powder or a feed balancer will help his gut to get the most from what you are feeding already and may help. I have a good doer and cant feed balancers even in winter because he piles on the pounds. Definately a good idea to try and find what is firing him up, if you can eliminate this then you can increase the amounts. Mine was as high as a kite on "cool mix" and as mentioned, a lot of the time its the cereal.

What you are feeding now is unlikely to make much difference to the horses weight unless we are talking small pony. Some questions first:

What sort of horse is he, size, type, age etc and how much underweight,what is your desired weight?

How much grazing/hay does he have?

How much exercise?

Is he new to you?

Intolerance to feed is not the most common cause of poor behaviour, there are several feeds available for real intolerance but are expensive and need to be fed in higher quantities to gain weight after a period of tolerance testing by withdrawing substances one at a time from the current diet.

he is a tb, 9yo, he is a bit on the skinny side, and i got him in november,
had his back, teeth, hooves and tack cheaked.

yes, this one you cant really see very well, ill take some more today x
Photo0583.jpg

Hiya :)

Having had a laminitic Show Pony who was exceedingly skinny but also very skittish and spooky we found that to keep weight on him all the time he would have vast amounts of Hi-Fi Lite (and i mean 'vast' amounts, i'm talking a bag and a half every 2 days!! :p Mostly because he couldn't have anything else, so that was his forage and concentrated feed) and that kept his weight up and he looked really well but didn't get even more skittish/spooky :)
Although he was a real character and we miss him dearly :(

But obviously, i've not ever met your Horse and can only go by what you are saying :p lol, but why not try Pasture mix, as my current Pony loves it and doesn't go hyper on it as she used to on Build-up mix :p (Although she does seem to have boundless energy and is a Welshie X PBA :p)
But tbh, it would probably be in both of your best interests to do a bit of leg-work and go and speak to vets/feed merchants or even experienced riding insructors to ask their opinion :p And if all else fails, just bulk him up and ride and exercise him as often as possible to keep the energy levels stable but also maintain his weight coverage by possibly turning it into muscle :p lol - Good luck with finding an answer!! :)
(He looks lovely btw!!)
xxxx

I would be looking at swapping the chaff to alfa a/alfa a oil and upping the cubes to a full scoop and feed this twice a day (if you dont already) If condition cubes are really going to blow his mind try cool condition by top spec which is ment to be really good. My friend feeds her TB build up cubes and has successfully put weight on him without him getting fizzy.

Given the behaviour problems you describe, I'd be looking at removing ALL concentrates from the diet, feeding supplements mixed with a handful of chaff and some grated carrots, and giving ad-lib hay of excellent (measured) quality as well as daily turnout onto good, but not over-rich or clover-y, grazing in quiet congenial company.

newrider.com