Any experience of tumours/fatty deposits...?

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west
Sorry rubbish thread, but worried!

I have clipped madam out, and Im sure I would have noticed this lump when I clipped her... you can't miss it. Now I only clipped end of Dec (29th ish), and yesterday she had a "huge" (size of my hand) lump between her front legs. It stops before her girth. Its about an inch deep - it wobbles like fatty tissue, but feels like it is sat on muscle as can feel the tensing underneath the wobble.

Are there other symptoms signs etc for determining the difference? Or what it might be? I have no idea where its come from, Im SURE I would have noticed it before. Its not there in summer pics, and I can;t tell in winter pics as she was so hairy.

Cheeky had a tumour in his eye 7 years ago (gosh, where has the time gone??).

Just a question, is she turned out with other horses? It is possible that it could be a kick and scar tissue resulting from it?

Only a little mini, and his feet are a 1/2 if not 1/4 size of the lump :giggle: He wouldn't kick out either, I would be etremly surprised if he did, I have never ever seen him kick out, he just wants to be friends LOL.

Im so confused that Ive not seen it before?!

One of the mares at my old yard had loads of them, and they were really obvious.

Some of them were the size of a thist (Sp?) she was REALLY over weight though. :frown:

Im not sure how you determine the diff between fatty lumps and cancerous?? Do you think it would be the same way as check with humans? :unsure:

Was madam well behaved with the clipping? :smile:

Yes, given some time and space! :) I just had to take it really slowly, but I havent done back of tummy, so that looks silly :giggle: She kept hopping about, I think it was tickly! And then got ****ed at me for making her hop about :redcarded::giggle:

IMG_1388.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

I await the replies for this with interest as I have the same on May and put it down to fat..

My sister and my first horse had a tumour between his legs that eventually grew round onto the front of his chest.. May has deposits in the same place you described, they feel fatty, sort of push in,wobble and haven't changed, they don't seem to me to be anything like Dylans tumour that felt harder - sorry it doesn't really help but you have prompted me to check with the vet when she comes to do jabs in a couple of weeks..

if it's a smooth mobile lump it's probably a fatty lump. Anything lumpy (excuse the term) or with an uneven surface warrants a vet check in my opinion.

My old pony Twig came in with a lump the size of a tennis ball on his shoulder one day!! It was solid but mobile and it stayed there for 2 weeks before reducing and dissapearing. I think it was a kick or possibly where he'd strained his muscle (as had been out galloping the day before and really stretched himself).

Imbeing really pathetic about it, I couldn't even look today :eek: Just about told oh but scared of getting vet out lol. Will get some pics. As it's so big it's not mobile (I have a 0pea sized fatty bit so know what you mean.

It is lumpy, but in a naked bean kinda way. It's very wobbly, but all below skin and no change to skin. It's not lumpy to run hand over, just if you hold it firmer.

She is fat, much to my frustration but never had it like this. She has pockets on withers/crest/shoulera/bum.

Are you sure it's not a haematoma PFB , friends horse had a huge one come up in the summer where he'd been kicked. If little'un has kicked her in the chest it might not swell up in shape of offending hoof :biggrin: & the swelling is wobbly with a haematoma like fluid filled sack if you see what I mean.

I re-felt it last night, its got bigger... Its not lumpy as I thought it was, but smooth though its squishy - the core feels solid with more squishyness around it. She isn't bothered at all by me poking and prodding it (and we know what a delicate flower I have :giggle:).

Couldn't get there in daylight yesterday so will get one today.

I would get the vet out personally - it doesn't sound like it's cancerous but if it's a kick/strain/haematoma then they may be able to help.

She is looking so cuute, that second pic she has that native pony on a mission look, teehee!

She is prone to fat pockets (you can see that in the photos :stomp: :giggle:) but her other fat pockets aren't like this.

I know I should have the vet out... just scared too :eek: :eek:. Back person thought it was fatty.

It doesn't 'sound' like a fat deposit. They usually aren't quite to pronounced and visible as you describe - most like peaks and troughs along the body with pockets of fat opposed to a real obvious lump.

Even if it's not cancerous, I'd be getting hte vet out. Especially since it's got bigger. If it;s not effecting her too much, not for walking, eating, drinking etc and seems ok in herself, then I'd most probably wait until tomorrow to call to avoid the weekend call out (unless she's insured? and adds up enough to claim, that it :D)

Let us know how it goes! Be interesrted to see pics actually...

It doesn't look like her other pockets, which are visible, but they blend into the line of the body... This doesn't - perhaps because it is under her, wheras the others are all on top (gravity).

She seems completly unaware of it - if it hurt she would have had my head off, she is actually doing really well at the moment! I keep hoping it will have vanished when I go back :giggle:

Here we are:

From the front
571977c8.jpg

f0ed3160.jpg

From behind
0d1f567e.jpg

3c3b325d.jpg

And from the side (to show how far it goes back - can only just about see it joining
3f0c77b3.jpg

Its grown again since yesterday :( Neighbour (who is a nurse) says it feels like a large cyst, she thinks its grown too fast for a tumour... It wobbles and swings side to side when she walks :eek: - t wasn't doing that on Wednesday. Will be calling vet on Monday morning.

I'd be getting the vet to that. But I'd be very surprised if it's a tumour if it's growing very quickly - far more likely to be something relatively simple and straightforward, but may well need some attention to get rid of it.

I keep turning up hoping its gone away :(

I didn't notice it last weekend, but equally I didn't look... Though her exercise sheet fastens in front of it so I think I would have noticed... Since wednesday its expanded a good 2" in width, you could see daylight down the sides of it.

Vet has said to phone on monday and get an emergency appointment in and not ride incase I aggrevate it and it bursts which would require an emergency call out.

Last edited:
I think it's an odd place for a tumour as well. Plus it's very symmetrical, so I guess more likely to be fluid/ cyst type thing where the tissue is giving equally under pressure. One of mine used to get occasional fluid filled lumps between his front legs due to fly bites and they did look huge compared with ones anywhere else, due to a fair amount of loose skin in that area plus gravity. So it's probably not as big as it looks and wouldn't seem as bad if it was anywhere else.

Vets on Monday, but I wouldn't worry overly much about it if she doesn't seem bothered.

newrider.com