Any deer experts?

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I've bumped into this herd 5 times now, 3 times in the last 2 weeks, the first time this year there were 20+ of them, yesterday only 4 that I could see, every time its been within 1 square mile or so.

They are big, not as big as reds but bigger than roe and this herd is like nothing I've seen before, they are almost black on their backs, fading to a lighter grey under their bellies and there is 1 white deer :D

I'm guessing fallow but its such unusual colouring, very definitely on the black scale not brown.

I'm going to wear my head cam every time now, I really want to capture them on video :p

We have a local herd of tame fallow deer. They have the most varied colouring I have ever seen on wild deer, everything from pure white to solid black, spots and not, and every shade of fawn and brown. They are really pretty

Reactions: Jessey
These guys definitely aren't tame, I saw them as we followed a trail through the forest which runs parallel to the road about 50 yards away, I was really scared we were going to push them to cross the road, so we went really slowly so they could go along in front of us. All the fallows I've seen before were brown of varying shades.

Yes those are the ones, half way down the really dark ones, the whole herd are that colour apart from the white one :D

One of my best deer sightings was driving home one evening down a back road through the forest, a red stag was in the road, he just sauntered along down tge middle of the road in front of me for about 1/4 mile. I was driving my ford ranger pickup, his back was higher than my bonnet and his head and antlers above the roof, he was HUGE :D

Ah a white fallow doe, subject of many fairy tales! The male version is of course the White Hart.

Amazing that you got a picture in such low light!

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com