Any advice for thursday?

PinkGlamourGurl

Wont you shine, shine on.
Dec 8, 2005
North East, UK
Hi everyone :) i'm really excited because for the first time EVER me and fleur are going to travel away from home to jump :eek: :p were going back to my old yard to do some unaffilliated as practice before the real thing lol. its only around a 15 minute journey but we've never travelled to a show before so i dont really know what she's going to be like. *fingers crossed* she'll be fine. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for travelling and then of course jumping. i pretty much know the arena like the back of my hand, but i'll still be looking out for slippy patches, spooky fillers etc. i only plan on taking her over a few warmup fences because in the past i tend to spend most of my time practising so when it comes to jumping the round she's too tired which isnt good :( for learning my course and then jumpoff i walk it until i can go round it visually in my head. Any more tips/advice? Thanks :) Natxx

hi nat woo go you i think you should just do it like you use to with fleur id take her to all the scary fillers and take her a few times around the arena to remind her where she is and watch people who go in before to see where other horses/ponies struggle like with the surface and try and avoid slippy places i dunu you know how to do it!! i am going to homeside again this thurs sunny is going mint!!!!!i know its only little but im just waiting for some shows!!!!oh and im going to see & ride Tazzy this weekend i think woooooo cant wait i miss him so much-sorry for rambling on !!!!:rolleyes:

Hi NAt

Try to keep calm, walk her round and let her see everything, if there are some fillers that you think she might "look" at then why not trot her up to them, that way it makes it easier for you to avoid a duck out.

I know beccas going up to watch, will try and get there myself.

Kath x

thanks kath :) will be sure to have a good mission past all the scary fences to avoid me being dumped in them :p Hopefully see you on thursday.
Anybody have advice on the travelling and how to keep her calm whilst tacking up etc? Natx

TBH Nat its such a short journey from your place to bowes I would tack her up then box her, so when you get there its just a case of unloading and getting on with it.

What time does it start, what classes are you doing, it's just junior classes isn't it?

KAth x

I dont really want to travel her with tack, she has a tendency to panic about new things and she hasnt done much travelling. clear round, novice maybe intermediate if we have the time and energy. Nope its unnaffiliated open to any age. Natxx

I'd say travel her with her bridle on under her headcollar anyway, maybe take the reins off it and just put them on when you get there? Put a sponge up underneath the browband - headband for safety. Make a list of the things you need to bring - don't want to point out the obvious, water, haynet, spare headcollar....

You should only really need to do about 2 fences in warmup, max 3. Warm her up good in trot, have a small canter. Do a crosspole and then do a single fence the height of the class. If you need to do another do a small spread.

Good Luck :)

well done yea speaking of girths mine wasnt tight on a hack the other day the tuesday every1 was off ma leg got stuck in the stirrup ma head smakked off a rock a was dragged up a road ma stiirup snapped i fell off n sunny gallpoped over a main road and home i think ive broke ma rib its killing owch!!!!! but at least i got to go get some nice new bendy stirrups and a new rug yea!!!!

newrider.com