Anxious

LuckysCharm

Aug 8, 2004
USA *Wisconsin*
Visit site
You might have heard of this...but in August we started noticing Nikita getting lame whenever we jumped. we took her to see the vet and she got X-rays. I was sooooo scared she would need surgery or i would never be able to jump her again. There was good news and bad news

Good news: The injury is temporary and will get better!
Bad news: She cant jump for 6 months!! we cant do dressage for 5 months!!!

It was an injury in her stifal..so i do lots of trail riding with her...and just walking, trotting and cantering in STRAIT lines...i cant take her around turns or go in circles.

Anyway...me and Nikita both are getting very anxious to get back out riding again!! Im already seeing the progress...she has SO much more spunk then she used to...sometimes i can hardly even control her, when ever we get out in an open field she just wants to GO!! she LOVES cross country and i took her out on the cross country course but all we did was walk it, no jumping of course...and she was pulling and pulling to get to the jumps!!

But i am sooooooooo happy i am already starting to see the progress in her and we will start back up where we left off in March :) I guess what i fear is...this will come back!! any body had similar problems? if so has it come back?...Its some soft tissue in her stifal and she needs to get her muscle built up.

Anway i just thought i should share my joy :)

xoxo
-Jen-

I'm so sorry.

I have known a number of horses that had stifle issues that did very well with proper treatment and conditioning. However, the best person to ask about her prognosis is your vet, since he knows exactly what the issue is with Nikita.

Keep in close contact with the vet to lay out a program of rest and conditioning, modifying it as necessary as she goes. If you are careful in the recovery, perhaps she'll end up better than ever when all is said and done.

Best of luck!

she is ona conditioning program now to build up her muscles. The vet said alot of trail riding and going up and down hills. Problem is i live in Wisconsin and it gets below 0 out and there is 2 inches of ice outside, and were supposed to get more tonight. THe horses are in their stalls because its to dangerous for them to be on the ice...i take her in the arena and just ride in strait lines. Its the best i can do since the trails are closed.

She already seems to be looking better she has so much spunk so im glad she is feeling better.

Well, you can only do what the weather will allow. And, in any case, I'd think that for the inital period after injury, lighter work in the ring will be a good start. Come Spring, when you can get out again, she'll hopefully be ready to start hitting the rolling terrain. Then, who knows, you may find that this type of work will lead to training goals you didn't even know you had.

newrider.com