Anxiety

kingsofscotland

Jan 14, 2015
Help! My rising 3 year old Welsh D is one of a herd of 7. Yesterday we extended the grass they were on and slightly changed the groups. My horse is still with his best pal who he can get quite stressed when separated from. However, tonight he is keeping away from them all yet seems anxious on his own, beginning for company. He's eating well and doesn't appear injured. I'm very worried but as he's at livery, can't keep an eye on him myself all night. Any ideas/suggestions?

Some horses are very sensitive to changes in herd dynamics and take a while to adjust when something is different. Give him a few days and I'm sure he will settle down, my mare is very similar and stresses when something changes so I am used to just waiting it out! As long as he is eating and drinking and isn't trying to go through or over the fence you are best just to leave him to it.

Thanks folks, he did settle down and is more or less back to himself. He had lived by himself for quite a while before I bought him so perhaps he gets torn between his need for the herd and fancying being alone sometimes. Goodness knows but all's well again!

newrider.com