anti weave grid. any good???

posh ponies

Jul 13, 2007
my ex race horse weaves, i have bought a weave grid but a friend has said that putting it up may trigger another vice.
does anyone know if this is true ? :confused:

Could you not give him more turnout? usually these sorts of vices arise from a horse being bored in a stable which I suppose is where he's spent most of his life if he's been a racehorse. :(

The problem with the weave grid is that it masks the problem but does not get to the root cause of the problem. That's why some horses find other vices.

You need to ask yourself : Why does the horse weave ?
Maybe a little more turnout could help, or a stable with a view on the yard to keep your horse busy ?
I'm not suggesting that you can necessarily cure your horse completely (unfortunately) but you can improve their environment and lessen the vice.

Can he live out 24/7?

If not, what about buying him a boredom breaker/stable toy/mirror for his stable? Something to keep him occupied?

Does he just weave because he wants his evening feed ?
Does he have (ad-lib) hay to keep him busy in the stable ?
Have you thought of stable "toys" to keep him occupied ?

I don't know if you've had you horse a long time or not but it can take time for him to adjust to his new (and more comfortable) life :)

ive only had him 2 days, yep he has plenty of ad lib, will get him a tongue twister to see if that will help as i really don`t want the grill up but i`m afriad of other horse owners on the yard, ive already had funny looks, and they say horses copy each other.
having an ex race horse is new to me but ive had horse from the age of 10.
he`s so good to handle, i just hope he chills out :confused:
ive also seen a thread that recommends rescue remedy ? :confused:

Usually when an anti weave grid is used, the horse will step back and weave inside the stable. The cause has to be treated, not the behaviour.

would it be possible to leave him out 24/7? if not get him lots of toys for his stable and maybe some nice licks etc. to keep him occupied. :)

My ex racer used to weave badly. I understand that he is fairly new to you? (apols if I have confused you with someone else! :eek:) If so, then the weaving may decreased as he settles, gets used to you and starts to realise that this place is "home" and "safe".

To begin with, my horse weaved so badly, I thought he would fall over. He was incredibly stressed by the move and the best thing I did for him was to ignore it. I don't like anti-weave grills, myself - if a horse is stressed, it is stressed and stopping it weaving and "releasing" the stress will only make it more stressed. My horse came from a private field with one other horse into a large, busy barn. The sheet metal roof on the barn also made a horrible noise when it rained and for a long time, he would completely stress out whenever it rained. He just didn't like the noise, the people bustling around and all the new horses.

The first thing I tried was a stable mirror, which helped a lot initially, although after six months or so, he ignored it. I also tried hanging distractions in the stable with him - hanging veg, boredom breakers, Likkits, you name it, I probably tried it. The best toy that worked was a feed ball.

I also discovered that after a while, it seemed to be a bid for attention rather than stress. A lot of people were going and trying to "comfort" him when he weaved. One person even blocked his weaving with their body until he clunked them on the head with his jaw! :rolleyes: I had to tell people to please just ignore him. If he got no attention for weaving, he would eventually stop and go and eat his hay. He seemed to find it more stressful to have people waving arms at him or trying to hang on to his head or patting him and trying to calm him down than just being left to get it out of his system for five minutes.

I definitely think turn out is the way to go. I bought my horse in the middle of winter turn out, which meant I had no choice about stabling on a night, but I went to fetch him as late as I possibly could and turned out as early as I could manage. When he was in, I would drop in his feedball, and by the time that was empty the barn would have started to settle and quieten down for the night, so he could relax and wasn't so uptight. Then it was summer turn out and he was outside 24/7. When I brought him back in for winter turn out the following year, the weaving had virtually stopped.

He does still weave from time to time, if he is worked up or upset about something (such as being on boxrest - in this situation he is already either ill or injured and more prone to stressing out). He bobs his head when he wants feeding, which isn't really "true" weaving", but the first time that he stood quietly when it poured down was a true acomplishment for us.

He will always be a weaver, but fortunately, over time, his weaving isn't really a problem any more. I've had his joints and feet checked out, and there is no excessive wear, so I just accept that his weaving is a bit like a smoking addiction. If he's stressed out or worried about something, it helps relieve a little bit of it, and it's his way of communicating with me that something is bothering him. When he is turned out full time, he doesn't do it at all.

Hope there's a few ideas here to help you tackle the root of his weaving. Good luck.

I have an anti weave grid, for different reasons though (my horse tries to jump out her stable if left alone). Anyway, a horse that did weave was put in my stable a while ago and it did not stop her, she just became more anxious and did it in the corner of the stable instead:eek:

My horse will also weave when it is feeding time and/or if something 'exciting' happening, i.e. YO's nags going off in lorry etc. I don't really see this as an issue, as he is just conveying his hunger/annoyance that he isn't on the lorry too! As *Sez* has mentioned I def. think his is an attention thing as if you walk away he will stop and watch you go.

I try and keep his time in the stable to a minimum and he gets plenty of hay + snack ball and generally this seems to keep it at bay.

Hopefully once yours settles in he will quieten down.

Last edited:
As long as he only does it for a few sways, and for short intervals never worry.

If he'd standing there swaying back and forth all day at the expense of other things like food and rest then maybe try a weave grid.

He seems to have plenty of field time, plenty hay. Weaving in small doses is one of the least destructive vices.

I don't have much experience of these, but my thoughts are:

Hopefully he will weave less as he settles.

If he's done this all his life, maybe it's just habit now, and not indicative of him being stressed?

Is it actually a problem? I know when I get nervous I pace, and if someone came and held me still, I would just get more frustrated! Could you just let him weave?

Hope you guys are happy together, good luck.

Heylooo posh ponies!

I was having a bit of a think about this earlier, I was thinking about the fact that he only weaves at dinner and when people are around - I think he will probably settle after a while once he gets used to the new routine. Me and mum have got a ball (somewhere) that you can try as well to keep him amused if you like?

Anna

P.S. I really do think he is lovely :D

ETA: Also if it is an attention thing maybe stick a note on the board asking everybody to ignore him if he weaves? As he's new everybody is probably wanting to go up and say hello to him (like me:rolleyes:) but we probably all need to keep out of the way until he settles, just to make things a bit easier

Last edited:
I could rent you one of my collies who will soon put a stop to any bad stable manners! door kickers, crib biters, fence leaners, and I dare say, weavers if she was to add them to her list!

I could rent you one of my collies who will soon put a stop to any bad stable manners! door kickers, crib biters, fence leaners, and I dare say, weavers if she was to add them to her list!

This made me smile - at our first yard (horrid place) they had 2 x collies that dealt with the door kickers/weavers by jumping up at the door and barking etc. This this worked for some but seemed to make jez more angry. Just before we left he went for one of the dogs when it walked past him on the yard, fortunately (for the collie) little dog is quicker than big horse and it got away. He now hates all dogs!!

Havn't read the other posts but your friend is right as the weve grid will remove the weaving but not the cause, he will be hooked on the endorphines waving releses so will releve his stress in another way.

Thanks very much for the positive feedback !!!
And thanks sez for the great ideas ;)
Anski that would be great if i could borrow your ball (i feel such a pain but all of my spare money has gone on buying him !) :):)

newrider.com