Anti-slip stuff for a Roly Poly Pony

flump1967

May 19, 2005
new forest
Your bestest recommendations for anti slip pads pretty please?

Needing some help with the bit of slipping we get what with Arns being totally round with no withers at all:p

We did have a Thorowgood anti slip pad which was OK but they only do it in cob size and it is just a tad too short for our 18 inch saddle.

Then bought a Stephens Gel Pad but not convinced to try it as yet as won't stay up into saddle arch and I worry about preassure plus being all gel and no cloth covering will it be too sweaty?

Am now using a Barnsby Grip Pad which is not too bad but not perfect and has the prob that it is too forward cut for our VSD saddle.

Am pondering on Prolite or Proffesional Choice Pads but both seem to need you to use a seperate saddle cloth too and I worry about adding too much bulk under our saddle as it fits nicely as it is.

Would certain girths make any difference?

Am pondering on Proffesional Choice neoprpene girth. Currently use an Aerborn atherstone waffle one.
Wonder if Proff Choice would help?

Help please :eek:

Just found this on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Premium-Hard-...FittedCarpets_Underlay_SM&hash=item20ab6e8fd1

Its the same stuff i bought but i paid more beacuse they added the word horse to the listing

My Haffy was so round that every time I tried to mount the saddle just spun right round, once i put this on there was no more slipping

It was thin enough to wear under the saddle cloth without any bulking up

I still have it now and even though i no longer need it I'm loathe to part with it as it was so good

I don't know how good the anti slip stuff is, but griffin nuumed pads are good at staying up in the gullet - even for no withered horses its better to have high wither pads to prevent pulling. Anti slip are on the last page of their catalogue

I used the Stephenson Gel Pad under my Haffie's saddle, I had a problem that the nummnah get shooting out backwards! Used a Griffen High Wither which is thin, and then put the gel pad ontop of the nummnah and then saddle.

Those limpet pads really make the horse sweat underthem, which can't be nice for the horse.

Others have found that shelf stuff good! I couldn't find it when looking for it! LOL!! Then loads afterwards.:rolleyes:

I can really recomend the Limpet sadddle pad. I've just started using the gel eze anti slip pad and really like it too.
Ali-c

Thanks folks, have ordered some of the anti slip mesh stuff and off to have a look at the Griffin thin numnahs.

The bit I can't quite understand is though - can I just use the mesh or the gel pad on its own?

If I use either with a saddle pad then does that reduce the anti slipness as either ponys back or saddle is then reliant on normal slippy surface on one side? :confused:

Anyone think type of girth makes a differnce or am I barking up the wrong tree there?

Mindymoo - you don't find the limpet pad too sweaty then?

I personally would shelf line between numnah and back and numnah and saddle!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I just dont like the idea of no sweat absorption - I hate the feel of sweatting in shoes with no socks, socks make it so much better! I would be concerned about it rubbing pulling his hair, but as long as you keep an eye on it I dont see a problem!

The shelf liner actually seems to help keep them cool!

I bought one of these flexi girths that is supposed to completely rule out slipping. Useless on a round cob:(

Thanks folks, have ordered some of the anti slip mesh stuff and off to have a look at the Griffin thin numnahs.

The bit I can't quite understand is though - can I just use the mesh or the gel pad on its own?

If I use either with a saddle pad then does that reduce the anti slipness as either ponys back or saddle is then reliant on normal slippy surface on one side? :confused:

Anyone think type of girth makes a differnce or am I barking up the wrong tree there?

Mindymoo - you don't find the limpet pad too sweaty then?

I use the gel-eze gel pad next to her back then put a normal thin numnah on top. It doesn't seem to slip at all. The limpet pads are also good and I use mine instead of a numnah. My mare seems very happy with either the limpet or gel eze. I haven't noticed any difference in sweating whether she has the limpet, gel eze pad or normal numnah next to her back. The good thing about the gel eze pad is that it is only £18.99 from shires. The limpet was about £38.

Mindymoo - you don't find the limpet pad too sweaty then?[/QUOTE]

Hi, no its been fine, she gets sweaty anyway whichever pad i use on her, she just gets herself in a tizz and uses twice as many calories as my old gelding;)
The only thing ive found with it is that it rips easily, have a big lump out of mine just in front of where the pommel sits. I don't think it helps because her coat is quite shiny this time of year and so its slippy too.
It is a nightmare with these no withered baby elephants we ride isnt it? ;)

Heh Flump, just been up to visit Flip after his first week wearing his new saddle identical to Arnie's and they are having the same problem with the roly polyness of no withers.:rolleyes: Just wondered how you're getting on with the saddle moving now you've bought some shelf lining stuff and other numnahs as I've got credit card out ready to buy something but not sure what to go for!!

Well I found out that Thorowgood actually do make a non slip numnah of the right size, but it comes in a high wither version (yes I know we have no withers but it seems to work anyway ;)) and that is vgood.

Barnsby Grip pad is good too but I prefer the Thorowgood one if I had to pick.

New Equine Wear - have bought it but not tried it yet.

Also bought but not yet tried is Stubben cord girth on recommendations from other peeps for anti slippy qualities.

Have also found that part of the problem is actually Mr Flump rather than anything else :rolleyes:

Sadddle slips far more with him than me or Arns Auntie S who rides him. We have come to the conclusion that Mr F is wonky and defective and I think I may put him on eBay and get another one :cool::eek::D

Lol! put him on at 99p, you might find someone willing to take him off your hands.
Typical that I've just gone to look and the thorowgood doesn't seem to come in brown and of course I have to have brown don't I:rolleyes:! The Barnsby looks sooo expensive - me thinks I will have to do some more digging!! Thanks Flump!

FM - the shelf liner is the same stuff as the thorowgood numnahs - just cut a bit to size and bung it under your brown numnah (I'm a brown tack person too - sometimes I wish I could push the boat out but brown always wins:eek:)

Thanks SM, at least that doesn't mean the numnahs i've already got are redundant. Away to ebay...and pushing the boat out isn't always about being daringly different in pink, purple or electric blue. Brown is very classy, imo!

newrider.com