Anti slip saddle pad type thingy!

Star the Fell

Jun 14, 2015
Mylo is a typical traditional cob, who looks at a blade of grass and puts weight on.
I had his saddle checked in July and fits really nice, but was moving up and down slightly in trot so the saddlefitter put a little extra flocking in it.
A month later and it’s happening again (very slight movement and not bothering Mylo at all).
Saddle fitter has been back out and confirmed the saddle fits perfectly. It is used with an anatomical girth. He has no soreness at all in his back. She thinks the movement is caused by his fat tummy and thinks this will always be the case in Summer whatever saddle I have on him, simply because of his shape. She has a couple of other clients with traditionals who have the same problem and she has recommended a sticky gel pad between saddlecloth and saddle to prevent the movement and it’s worked in both cases.
Has anyone tried this method? I have priced up the non slip saddle pads and they are too expensive, considering I don’t need a new one as such, but I can get a gel ease or a Acavallo gel pad for around £30.
(The saddle fitter has a brilliant reputation and comes highly recommended in my area, so I don’t think a different saddle fitter would be the answer)
Oh and Mylo is on a diet to get rid of his tummy but obviously I need to ride him too, so need a solution ASAP.

I have recently acquired an acavallo gel pad for Jess, I thought I would use it for a bit of extra protection for her back while things are healing. As far as gel pads go its much nicer than the old style ones that were D shaped with no ventilation. However I do wonder if it might be what caused the bumps on Jess' back on Saturday (maybe by trapping more heat or because of the little holes in it) but I rode without it on sunday, I doubt it would be an issue for a horse that isn't over sensitive or struggles with heat, it is certainly nice and grippy :)

I love my Acavello gel pad. Has stopped Ambers saddle slipping up her shoulders. She's a fussy, tack diva and she likes it too.

Two good vote for tha Acavallo :)
I had heard of them causing skin irritation @Jessey but I will be using it on top of the saddlecloth so shouldn’t be a problem.
I have also spotted a non slip saddle cloth on EBay for a good price so will bid on that later and if I’m unlucky will go for a gel pad instead.

I have one to provide a bit of extra cushioning. I have also used a thick poly pad instead of a thin numnah which seems to hold better on cobby.
I think the gel pad is supposed to go directly on the horses back not between saddle and saddle cloth, but I might be wrong. I think saddle will slide if in direct contact with gel pad.

Is it your stirrup length, where you are sitting?
I know if I ride one hole too short mine might hit me up the bum. But I solved that with a few tweaks one being to drop a hole, that in turn moves my position.

Two good vote for tha Acavallo :)
I had heard of them causing skin irritation @Jessey but I will be using it on top of the saddlecloth so shouldn’t be a problem.
I have also spotted a non slip saddle cloth on EBay for a good price so will bid on that later and if I’m unlucky will go for a gel pad instead.
I had it between the saddle and a thin ish cotton pad.

@chunky monkey they are usually meant to be used on the horses back, but to solve the problem I have, it appears to work when using it directly under the saddle.
I will give it a try. Hopefully will get some weight off him which will solve the problem anyway.

Personally I would never put a gel pad directly onto my horse's back because I'd hate to think it was pulling the skin and hair. I didn't like them anyway but then I saw that video that did the rounds on FB and that finished me off.

Mine is directly under the saddle on top of a saddle pad. It would never have occurred to me to use it without a saddle pad.

newrider.com