Anti-napping lesson today

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Drink lots of coffee.

No, seriously. My RI Sarah came out to help because Sid has misbehaved twice with my sharer. I explained the situation to her and she went off to set up some likely napping items (a huge red coat and an extra-large brightly coloured feed bag) along the lane for Sid to nap at so she could help me work him through it.

I wish she had stayed with me because we rode down out of the field, I ask Sid to turn left down the lane, and he said, "F*ck you, no way, I will go right!" I tried to turn him, he refused and carried on going right. I insisted. He bucked, the little bugger! I tapped him on the shoulder with my schooling whip - I don't usually carry one but Sarah had advised it - turned him the other way, and he grumpily went. Then of course he tried to dash back into the field through the gate. NO, Sid!

Down the lane we went. Jane 1, Sid 0. He stretched his neck, shook his mane and settled. Then we encountered the first of Sarah's Set-up Spooky Items and yes, he stopped.

Her advice to me was:
  • Don't let him turn around. He must not turn around.
  • Don't hold the reins tightly, it only encourages running backwards and/or going up.If he evades through the shoulder (this is Sid's default) use the schooling whip to stop him.
  • A couple of backwards steps are ok. When he stops going backwards, ask for a forwards step.
  • If he takes even one single step, take the pressure off. Praise him. We use a wither rub.
  • If it take 30 single steps to get him past the obstacle, so be it. If it takes 20 minutes, so be it.
  • If he offers more steps, praise him as he goes. When he gets past, give him a praise fest.
  • If he gives the obstacle a wide berth, go back past it again if the situation allows to encourage him to go closer. This is important on narrow lanes where there may be traffic.
This worked perfectly for me with all the Set Up Spooky Items. Sarah said that she thought Sid hasn't yet formed a relationship with my sharer as he has with me, and that he is testing her. I think this is very likely! She also says that while people dealing with napping may get the horse to step sideways, or circle, or whatever, they very often forget to praise the forward movement when it happens.

Sharer has as it happens just tested positive, so won't be coming this week. I will make sure I take Sid out a few times to keep him warm for her.

It's good her set up worked to give you training opportunities, would have been a bit pants if he'd been perfect lol That's pretty much the tactic I take with nappers, block backwards/turning, keep the front door open, praise lots, I think once they learn they are allowed to be worried, but at the end of the day they are going to go past it, they stop trying to go back and will just stop long enough to assess and check you are happy with it, then get on with the job at hand.

Is there an assumption here that one rider of a shared horse can stop it napping with other riders? Ella is a napper but I shared a nappy mare before and we go on. Ella still naps with other people. This is not napping at an object that alarms her. It is napping to go home and avoid work.

one rider of a shared horse can stop it napping with other riders
No indeed, and alas. But I could have a lesson so have learned one way that works, and when she next goes out I will walk behind and can offer some coaching if she needs it. Or, if she prefers, we can set up Spooky Items and do a re run of today, but with her in the saddle.

I'm another who agrees with your RI's approach, and in particular the emphasis on praise for the slightest attempt.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
I'm sure there's not but there isn't any chance of him having any pain on his left side is there? Hence why he wanted to go right?

I'm sure there's not but there isn't any chance of him having any pain on his left side is there? Hence why he wanted to go right?
I don't think so @Ale. He usually resists through his left shoulder, and was doing that quite as normal later on, so I'd be surprised if he had any problems on that side - his right side is weaker. I think he was just being an opinionated muppet!

Reactions: MrA
newrider.com