Anti midge rugs

DebO

Sep 11, 2002
South Coast, UK
Visit site
Hi there

I see there are new midge/fly rugs out and wondered what your opinions of them are. My 2 have the mesh rugs which I bought quite a few years ago, but they don't go under the belly.

I'd like to get them some different rugs with more protection, esp under belly I see you can still get the mesh that go under the belly, or material types ones as well, or of course there is the boett rug.
Any opinions on these

DebO

As for midge rugs... my instructor's horse gets bad sweet itch when left unrugged, and as far as I know, in the past she's always had her in boett rugs. She bought a Rambo sweet itch rug last year (like the dustbuster ones except for sweet itch) and it was quite good, tough material but not stiff (unless it's been squished in poo overnight!), the belly part wraps around quite well without the need for an extra belly wrap bit, the neck is generous but not baggy, and there's an ear bit as well so 'there is literally top to tail protection! There is a massive tail flap, and the leg parts hang down the legs a way too. And there are lots of fastenings up the neck to minimise the gaps left. But Elizabeth seems to prefer Petal to go out in her boett still... they do seem to have great all-round protection, especially the belly bit.
Petal also suffers from allergic reactions to bites and random things she finds (like they do lol) so Elizabeth is thinking of getting her one of those new Fal silver interactive sweet itch rugs, to help her skin cope with the reactions and with being rugged 24/7 from spring to autumn. I haven't seen one yet but I suppose if this is a problem with another horse, it might be something to look into.
Good luck with finding a rug, there's plenty to choose from!
Rachel

I've just bought Moo a Boett rug and although it was pricey, I do think its brilliant. Moo certainly likes to wear it (hasnt stopped swanning about the field with a revolting air of self importance!) and is much more comfortable in it. It only took 4 days for her to stop scratching herself to bits on everything in sight and the swishing tail and constant rolling has stopped too. She even got shirty when she thought I was putting her out without it! and thinks its hilarious when you have to pull it over her head! I particularly like the neck on it - its roomy enough that it actually stays up the neck.

For 'normal' rugs, I've also got her a Rambo flybuster protection, which is too a very nicely designed and well fitting rug. Not so good on the neck but its not designed as a sweet itch rug.

Hi there

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I am not surprised you have both mentioned the boett rugs as being a good option. My friend bought one for her horse a couple of years ago as he suffered from sweet itch and she has told me she's been very pleased with it. She said initially it was tricky putting it on but he always looks very comfy in it.

I think I may well invest in a couple of those. The cost will probably be worth it in the long run.

Cheers
DebO

newrider.com