Anti inflams

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
Throw your anti inflams at me. Brains gone dead. Liquid form might be preferable unless i can disolve it in water, as im going to have to syringe down.

Might try dissolving some danilon tonight.

Getting desperate.

Bute dissolves easily in a small amount of water, or at least the equipalazone that I used did and because it's a small sachet you don't have a large amount to syringe.

What are you dealing with?

If you need good and fast acting, metacam is the way to go but you’d have to get it from your vet, it’s pretty strong stuff but is less harsh on the tummy. But regular bute does dissolve pretty well, you can put it in natural yoghurt if you need a thicker consistency to syringe and that probably protects the tummy a bit.

You can get bute in syringe form from vet, I am using metacalm on Aimee donkey and it is palatable in food. Buddy has bute granules in his food and eats them, i have found it impossible to get the granules into a syringeable format, they tend to block the syringe, but you can get it as a paste in a syringe already made up from vet. Danilon i have found will work mixed with fresh mint powder in a sandwich for the fussy eaters.

Thanks all. Had a flippin migraine yesterday. This poorly sheep is getting me distressed this week. Thought we'd turned the corner. Jobs are creeping up on me. Getting nowhere fast. Brother thinks she needs a bullet. But i got her back eating from eating nothing several weeks ago and she was back out in the field for two weeks. Now shes gone off her feet. Been clutching at straws for six weeks now. Im sure shes still in lamb, her belly is bulging now. No udder dropping yet but under the circumstances she may not spring udder till last few days. 3 and a half weeks to go. I dont want to give up on her. The fact that she is still with me indicates she still has a will to live. Considering most sheep will just drop dead.
She got some danilon mixed with some apple cider vinegar syringed down last night. Still alive so i didnt kill her off. Given her some more this morning. But been researching and think she has twin lamb. Ruled it out several weeks ago as symptoms werent right. So now rather than pain relief im going for some energy boosters. Off out shopping for her soon. But i will find her some anti inflams too.

We got her a drench which i was giving but i used it up and as she was back eating food and out on grass so i thought sorted. Didnt think the drench was working. I thought it was the brambles id been cutting for her daily. Maybe the drench was helping without knowing it. Cant get anymore of that till next week so got to source other options from elsewhere. If i dont get her up she will die for sure.
Used up my devils relief i had for Chunky but i might get a bottle whilst out. Will take a walk later and see if theres any useable willow branches on our tree at the bottom of the field. We pollared the tree last year so not a lot on there currently. Offered turmeraid but she wont eat that.

I don't know about sheep, but boswellia works well in horses and I think you can get it in a liquid form too. Lots of vibes for her, it is unusual to get a sheep that doesn't die at the first sign of a problem so I can understand why you're trying so hard for her. Would some mushed up grass pellets help? Sometimes what's closest to natural is the most appealing x

Aw poor sheepie, I don’t know much about them, I remember my friend giving one of his a shot of something when it went down, I think it was magnesium and she was back on her feet and bright within hours, but I’m sure you’re tried all the normal stuff already.

If you do go down the drenching route, Golden Paste (turmeric stuff) added will help. It is a natural anti-inflammtory and helps with digestion too. There is a recipe and it is not difficult to make. Just turmeric on its own is no good. It needs the other ingredients to kick-start it.

I am sure you know this, but be careful with adding sugar as it can send sheep rumen's out of kilter.

Thanks @Frances144 i dont want to over do the sugar but it sounds like its partly what she needs as a boost from all the things ive read. Although sugar on its own isnt enough as it needs the minerals and vitamins alongside.
Ive got her a drench which i hope will help. Given her a couple of doses so far. Two of us got her to her feet this afternoon and she stood for a minute before going down. I tried to get her up this evening on my own, she wanted too but just no strength currently. So she got a good massage to stimulate the blood supply.
Got some molasses and some devils relief early to. So gave her a syringe of those too. Then syringed some water down. That seemed to make her thirsty and then she wanted to drink water from a bucket.
Keeping everything crossed that the drench does its stuff.

I raided my stash of ancient meds earlier. Ive found some ketol in the back of my medicine cupboard. Apparently its another remedy to try. Its only 40 years old. Havent opened the bottle yet. Wonder if it might be like knock out gas.
There are a few other similar options, one is brandy and molasses. Im sure ive got some brandy in the cupboard. Im not likely to drink it so i could get the sheep drunk if nothing else.
Watch this space kill or cure. Nothing to loose.

I used the porridge a lot as it is a slow-release carb and just keeps everything, including blood sugars, ticking over nicely.

Best of luck. Sheep are heart-breaking and few understand or even care so full credit to you for all your efforts.

Porridge oats for breakfast today. Got some fairly fine ground oats in the cupboard.
My syringe has only got one of those small holes for attaching a needle to. I used to have one with a bigger long spout but not sure if ive still got it. So will have to work out how to administer. Spoon feeding was never very successful with the goats but i will give it a go.

Sounds like you need a dosing syringe, have a look on Amazon or somewhere like Moles, or even your vet. I don't suppose there's any chance she'd like the smell of warm porridge and just eat it?

We put the oats in the Nutribullet and blast them to dust. Then add warm water with honey dissolved in and then dose it in. Otherwise it goes all claggy and blocks the syringe.

If you dont have a Nutribullet (saved every animal I have - essential kit imho), then a nut/herb grinder will turn the oats to flour fairly well instead. Find the right blade that does this. Probably in the back of a kitchen drawer that you have never ever used! (well mine would be!)

newrider.com