anti bark collar fo dogs

jordanross

Jul 19, 2009
Hi guys sorry this isnt horsey but know alot of you guys have dogs to like myself.
Thing is my dogs are driving me mad right now. i have 2 lilly who is an 8 year old bishon frise. and freddie who is a 3 year old teacup chihuahua.

They are a duo act! never leving each others side. we got lilly when she was 2 , shes a very smart dog ( normally) and freddie who i bought from a pup at 7 weeks old.

They are both very smart dogs ( imnot just saying this cos they are mine)
anyways recently... they have started barking when somebody comes to or is near the front door. and i know it sounds odd but they drive us mad with it, you can answer the front door and let the caller in but the dogs dont seem to shut up! you can tell them no which noramlly works in other situations...but no matter what i say or do, they wont stop barking and its really begining to get on my nerves big style! too me it feels like they are being VERY disobediant. Ok i know that dogs protect there property....so really they are doing a good job. BUT if the owner is telling them that its ok and that they should be silent... then surely thats what they should be doing! ? my elder dog lilly seems to follow the younger freddie, hes very firey anyway being a chihuahua... hes a proper little ankle biter! although hes never EVER bitten or gone to bite me.

I was looking at those anti bark collars, that let off a nastyt noise only dogs can hear when they bark. only thing is cos i have 2 dogs both of them would get the un pleasant sound. which obviously isnt fair on the non barking dog. mind you they do both generally start off together anyway...

my dogs are very well trained and stick to my rules most of the time. but this barking thing is getting stupid! when we go out they start off before we have even left the house i can tell them to shut up more times than its worth, but they dont really listen, im getting to the stage where i could seriously throttle the little sh*ts.

anybody else had problems with dogs barking like this?

sounds to me like they think they rule the pack..if you went back to basics and trained them to understand that YOU are the boss then they would respect you more when you say no.
there is a dog/pets section you may get more replies in xx

thanks scottishterrier. i do sometimes feel that they are trying my patience. although it has eld to them getting a smacked bottom! Im firm but fair. but they do sometimes need a smacked bottom! I know alot of people disagree with hitting animals so id just to just point out they only get a smacked bum when they really will NOT shut up. and it isnt a beating or anything. and it DOES work! although it annoys me that i have to resort to this.

I think there is a pets section on the forum?

Yep, my pugs do it at the T.V and it drives us insane. Any sight of an animal or sound and they immediately jump up at the tv and bark. Obbie (the oldest) watches the T.V and knows the sounds of the adverts for which ones have the animals. He knows the theme tune to coronation street and waits for the cat to walk across the top of the wall... bloody annoying. Sorry, no advice, just thought i might let you know your not alone!

eta: Crossed with scottishterrier on the pets section thing!

Water pistol :D

If your dogs have nervous tendencies I wouldn't recommend an anti bark collar. Would be ridiculously large on a teacup chihuahua anyway.
Get a crate and put them out of the way if anyone comes in. They need to have their sense of importance reduced.

Water pistol :D

If your dogs have nervous tendencies I wouldn't recommend an anti bark collar. Would be ridiculously large on a teacup chihuahua anyway.
Get a crate and put them out of the way if anyone comes in. They need to have their sense of importance reduced.

Hi lara , yep i agree well they have a large cage/pen that i out them in when anybody comes, and i only need to say BED! and they scamper off into there bed/cage. but yet they still bark! i think lilly picked up barking from freddie because she never used to bark she was a very quiet dog. but soon as freddie starts....so does lil.

My neighbour has a dog that will bark incessantly when you come in for a visit, she screams at him (far more annoying and eardrum shattering than the dog!) and he completly ignores her, I make him sit down, look him straight in the eye and tell him "no" in a firm voice, it always works whereas I think he has just become accustomed to her screeching and doesn't take any notice, so maybe try getting their attention first. Also, are they getting enough exersize? even small dogs like that need a daily walk, I know hers don't get enough exersize and they are more hyper and willing to hop around the place barking.

also, another thing you could try is, getting somebody to go out and ring the doorbell, each time the dogs go out barking make them come back in and be quiet, they should eventually learn that running out to the door gets them nowhere. some other basic things like making them wait for you to go out through a door first without barging past etc. this worked on a relatives dog I was looking after anyway.

I think in the mean time you need to remove the dogs from the situation. Keep them away from the front door and when someone is coming put them away in another room until you have the time to work on the issue.

You've got to think about why they are barking in the first place. Dogs won't repeat a behaviour unless they find it rewarding in some way. It could be as simple as it gets them attention, even if it is negative it is still attention in their eyes. So shouting/telling them off etc. is not the best idea imo. If it were me, I'd enlist the help of a few friends and spend a whole day with people coming/ going and working on the issue.

Instead of thinking about stopping a behaviour you don't want, think about the behaviours you want them to do instead. It is much easier to teach them to do the right thing than to stop them from doing the wrong thing. In other words, instead of focussing on stopping the barking start working on giving them something else to do and make it much more rewarding for them. You need to teach your dogs to choose to do the right thing because it is very rewarding for them to do so.... understand what I mean?

At the moment they are behaving in a way they see as "right" and for whatever reason they find it a rewarding thing to do. So the best thing I think you can do is completely ignore the behaviours you don't want (the barking) and reward the ones you do. So the minute they stop barking reward them! It would probably be a good idea to invest in a clicker as I imagine you will probably only get a second or so to "catch" the good behaviour (ie. when they shut up!) and a click is much more precise and quicker than a word. It would also be a good idea to work with one dog at a time before working with the two together.

It will take a lot of time but it will pay off. You just have to think about how you want the dogs to behave when people come to the door and then break it down into little steps/achievements to get you to that point. If it is the doorbell that sets them off then you need to address that before people even come in the door. For example, you could teach them that when the door bell rings they should go to their bed/crate/another room. Or you could simply teach them to sit and stay until you go and invite the person at the door in and then give the dog permission to greet them. Whatever you decide to get them to do, just remain calm, consistent and most of all patient. If you find yourself becoming frustrated, stop and try again another time.

I used a citronella collar on my woofy dog and it worked perfectly.
My house smelt lovely! and he stopped barking. I only used it about 2 weeks
When the dog barks they get a immediate squirt of citronella which apparently they dont like

I had one that beeped one my BC a while back...I took it off after ten minutes because she was barking at the high pitched beep !!! We put her to bed and sat in the lounge, she barked once it beeped and then she barked at the beep and it beeped so she carried on in the end we took it off lol! I ended up just letting her 'grow out of it', she was only 6 months and would barked when left alone even at night when we were upstairs. Now she just barks when she is 'protecting' the house.

my dogs have bark collars is necesssary....

they are guarding the house though - thats what they are here for.... unfortunately theyprobably wouldnt bite a thief lol.. juts let him in but they sound good :p

there are devices you can get that set off a high pitched noise whe they bark etc...

There's a good one which squirts a citronella solution at them, there's a video of it on youtube and it really does work.

we used a citronella collar with our little highly oppioniated JRT cross and it honestly does work, to the extent that we still occasionally put it on her (very late at night when we let her out last thing etc, to keep her from barking at the foxes and waking the elderly neightbours) but we no longer turn it on and her just wearing it is enough to stop her thinking about barking

newrider.com