Another to clip or not....

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I rode jess this afternoon leading hank, we did 2.7 miles (4.5km) and he was rather sweaty by the time we got back, enough to warrant a blanket clip as thats where he was wet but I'm really loathe to rug him.
He's doing the new years day parade which is 5km which horses will only be walking but he has little legs but there is also likely to be lots of hanging round and he has to be smart (inspection on the day for approval), so would you;
-Blanket clip now then whip the lot off closer to the time
-Whip the lot off now so he's grown enough back by the time it actually gets cold but he's at least evenly fuzzy
-Leave him as it will get cooler soon
-Or something else?

I'd blanket clip now, & then redo the blanket clip a week or so before the parade. I don't see why a blanket clip wouldn't be considered smart, and it's much more practical than a full or hunter clip if the parade is only in walk & with lots of hanging around.

He's just so fuzzy that any lines look untidy on him, and its really noticeable as he's silver underneath his brown.

Mine would have all grown back by new year if I clipped now, but that would mean rugging. Although you will only be walking. Will he get excited with other horses around. I assume your saying all off for the parade. In which case i would blanket clip now for fitness training. Full clip 10 days before parade. Don't forget London tends to be warmer as well.

Reactions: Jessey
could always get him an exercise driving rug if its a foul day for standing around parts, will keep his vitals warm if you feel hes getting chilly. Even chuck a thermatex over or something.

Tee hee yes I plan to make him a little rug which will be in keeping with the theme somehow so if its really dire I can pop it on :)

Oh bless, I bet Hank looks even cuter clipped if that's possible:D. I'd go with whatever you feel suits his workload, obviously then rug accordingly depending on how exposed it is in your field.good luck I hate being covered in clipped pony hair:eek:.

Its really not exposed, not at his height :p we have a the biggest blackberry bush on the west boundary which is our prevailing wind in winter (along the river valley) plus he has various shelters facing different directions and jess to hide under :D
I do have a mw and lw rug for him, they've just never had much use :p

Reactions: tikkitti
I think I'd do a blanket now or chaser type clip now then do a full clip a a couple weeks before the parade. You may get away with the worst of dreaded moulting come spring that way :p

ETA I'd make a rump rug of sorts that ties in with your chariot etc for the actual day.

newrider.com